Field trials of upgraded Bofors gun in January 2013March 20th, 2012 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 20 (IANS) An upgraded version of the 155mm Bofors gun, the Indian Army’s most potent artillery weapon, will be ready for field trials in January 2013, a top official of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) said Tuesday.
“We are working on this upgraded version. This has been tried out in PXE (Proof and Experimental Establishment), Balasore,” OFB chairperson Sashi Dhar Dimri said on the sidelines of its 210th anniversary here.
OFB is upgrading the gun from its original 39-calibre to 45-calibre with mechanical and electronic suites.
Extensive firing has been carried out at PXE Balasore as part of the upgrade process.
“We are confident that in the beginning of 2013, our GCF (Gun Carriage Factory, Jabalpur) will be in a position to field the gun for trials,” Dimri said.
While one gun has been upgraded with the electronic suite incorporating ballistic computers, servo valves and communication systems to provide automation, the second gun has been upgraded by fitting a new 45 calibre barrel, enabling it to achieve a range of 40 km.
- FAQs on Bofors guns and graft row - Apr 25, 2012
- No shortage of artillery guns: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- BAE opts out of Indian Army's towed guns tender - Apr 28, 2011
- Six defence firms banned for 10 years (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- India bans six defence firms for 10 years (Second Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Six defence firms banned from Indian ordnance factory deals (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach - Apr 16, 2012
- India, Russia sign pact for Smerch rockets - Aug 28, 2012
- Defence ministry nod for artillery trials - Dec 23, 2009
- Indian Army refloats tenders for heavy guns - Feb 07, 2011
- Blacklisting of firm hits artillery modernisation: Army chief - Jun 12, 2009
- Court order or not, Indian Army still grapples with Bofors ghost - Mar 04, 2011
- Innovation in defence sector below par: Antony - Nov 14, 2011
- Rheinmetall objects to ban from Indian defence deals - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: 155mm, anniversary, artillery, automation, bofors gun, calibre, chairperson, communication systems, dhar, dimri, gun carriage, indian army, jabalpur, kolkata, ofb, ordnance factory board, proof, sashi, servo valves, sidelines