Fiat launches small car Grande PuntoJune 17th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) A week after Honda entered the small car segment in the Indian market, Italian auto major Fiat Wednesday launched the globally available Grande Punto, its third small car offering in the country.
“The launch of Grande Punto marks a new milestone for Fiat in India as we bring the quintessentially Italian designs to Indian shores,” Fiat India chief executive Rajeev Kapoor said.
The car, to be priced between Rs.3.11 lakh and Rs.6.11 lakh ex-showroom in Delhi, will be rolled out from the company’s Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra. It will come in four variants with three engine options - two petrol and one diesel.
Grande Punto, which follows Fiat’s sedan launched in January, was first launched in the European market in 2005. India will be the third country after Italy and Brazil where it will be manufactured.
The car is sold in over 209 countries, creating a lot of scope for exports from the 200,000-unit capacity plant in Ranjangaon.
“We will start exporting soon but our priority is the domestic market,” Fiat Italy’s sales and marketing director Giorgio Gorelli said.
The company will also consider India as a global hub for its small cars at a future date.
It has set up a dedicated team in the capital to explore component exports from India, said Fiat’s global chief operating officer Silvio Bonfiglioli.
- Fiat launches new versions of Linea and Punto - Jan 04, 2012
- Fiat to open 80 standalone dealerships by year-end - Sep 19, 2012
- Fiat to expand presence in Indian market - May 09, 2012
- Fiat launches Grande Punto's diesel variant - Jul 16, 2010
- Fiat offers festival discounts on Linea and Punto - Sep 21, 2011
- Nissan launches mid-size sedan Sunny - Sep 20, 2011
- Volvo launches sedan S60 in India - Mar 11, 2011
- Fiat to manage distribution of Indian subsidiary - May 02, 2012
- Nissan launches diesel variant of mid-size sedan Sunny - Dec 12, 2011
- Fiat to open stand-alone showrooms in 20 cities - Sep 06, 2011
- Fiat launches Linea T-Jet, T Jet Plus - Oct 08, 2010
- Renault launches Scala sedan - Sep 07, 2012
- Toyata launches seventh generation Camry - Aug 24, 2012
- Skoda launches Rapid sedan - Nov 16, 2011
- Hyundai launches new Elantra - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: bonfiglioli, car segment, chief operating officer, dedicated team, engine options, fiat, fiat italy, global hub, gorelli, italian designs, lakh, launch, maharashtra, rajeev kapoor, rs 6, s sales, sales and marketing, silvio, small car, small cars