FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in HimachalDecember 1st, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 1 (IANS) Shops and commercial establishments were closed in almost all towns in Himachal Pradesh Thursday as traders protested the decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail.
However, there was no report of traffic being held up due to the strike. There was also no report of violence anywhere, an official at the police headquarters here said.
In Shimla, over 6,000 shopkeepers kept their shops closed.
“The shutdown was complete in the town,” Shimla Beopar Mandal president Ramesh Sood told IANS.
He, however, said shops dealing with daily necessities, medicines and eatables were exempt from the shutdown.
The city’s business hub The Mall wore a deserted look with shopkeepers joining the all-India strike by the trading community to protest allowing foreign equity in multi-brand retail.
Likewise, shops in prominent towns like Solan, Dharamsala, Kangra, Palampur, Mandi, Rampur, Kullu, Manali, Una and Hamirpur remained closed for the day.
Tikender Panwar, a state CPI-M leader, said: “The party opposes the decision as it would destroy the livelihood of small retailers and lead to monopolisation of the retail sector by multinational companies.”
He said the strike was successful across the state.
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shimla shops shut to support Anna - Aug 24, 2011
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal - Jul 05, 2010
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Rains bring down temperatures in Himachal - Jul 05, 2012
- Heavy rain predicted in Himachal - Jul 04, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Himachal Annas end fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Reliance Communications to launch 3G services in Himachal - Jan 25, 2011
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: business hub, commercial establishments, CPI, dharamsala, eatables, fdi, foreign direct investment, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, india strike, kullu manali, livelihood, mandal, mandi, multinational companies, necessities, police headquarters, ramesh, retail sector, sood