FDI falls in MexicoMay 24th, 2012 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 24 (IANS/EFE) Mexico received $4.37 billion in foreign direct investment, or FDI, in the first quarter, down 8.7 percent from the same period in 2011, authorities said.
FDI totaled $4.78 billion in the January-March 2011 period, the Economy Secretariat said.
The 2012 figures, which are preliminary and subject to revision, are based on filings by foreign investors with the Economy Secretariat’s National Foreign Investment Registry.
Mexico received FDI from 1,820 companies in the first quarter of this year, the secretariat said.
Some 51 percent of the total FDI was from reinvestment of profits, while 27.1 percent was new investment and 21.4 percent came from transfers of accounts between companies.
The sectors that drew the most FDI were manufacturing, with 36.8 percent; financial services and insurance, with 22.1 percent; retailing, with 12.8 percent; real estate services, with 6.8 percent; professional scientific and technical services, with 6.7 percent; transportation, shipping and warehousing, with 5.8 percent; and other sectors, with 9 percent.
The main sources of FDI were the US, with 37.3 percent; Spain, with 28.7 percent; Luxembourg, with 9.1 percent; Germany, with 5.7 percent; Japan, with 4.7 percent; and other, which came from 54 countries and accounted for the remaining 14.5 percent, the secretariat said.
FDI hit $19.55 billion in 2011 and totaled $119.38 billion between 2007 and March 31, the Economy Secretariat said.
- Foreign direct investment in Mexico goes down - Aug 25, 2011
- Mexico receives $13.4 bn in foreign investment - Nov 25, 2011
- Foreign investment in Brazil quadrupled in five years - Dec 16, 2011
- Remittances to Mexico rise - May 03, 2012
- FDI in Latin America hits record high - May 04, 2012
- Mexico's tourism activity grows - Aug 15, 2012
- Mexico's 2011 growth outlook improves - Dec 02, 2011
- Brazil on track for $60 bn in foreign investment - Sep 24, 2011
- Mexico's foreign reserves rise - Apr 04, 2012
- Foreign direct investment into South Korea grows - Apr 05, 2012
- Mexico's economy grew in 2011 - Feb 17, 2012
- Mexico's economy to grow in range of four-five percent - May 13, 2011
- Auto production hits record level in Mexico - Oct 18, 2011
- Mexico's economy grows 4.5 percent in third quarter - Nov 23, 2011
- Mexican remittances rise - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: authorities, economy secretariat, efe, financial services, first quarter, foreign direct investment, foreign investment, foreign investors, germany, insurance, japan, may 24, mexico city, mexico mexico, profits, real estate services, secretariat, sectors, shipping, spain