FDCI urges Emporio not to host rival fashion showJuly 30th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) The Fashion Design Council of India (FDCI) has urged the management of the Emporio luxury mall to refrain from hosting a simultaneous fashion week here in October as it would hamper business. In an e-mail sent to a representative of the mall, which is situated in Vasant Kunj, FDCI president Sunil Sethi said: “Hosting a rival fashion event would only divide the fashion industry.”
Sethi was appointed the head of FDCI earlier this month, replacing designer Ashish Soni, who had resigned due to differences among members of the fashion body. The spring-summer edition of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW), organised by the FDCI, is scheduled for Oct 15-19.
The rival show is being organised on the same dates by Sumeet Nair, who had stepped down last month as the FDCI executive director, charging the body of having a “crab mentality”.
The venue for Nair’s event houses stores of prominent FDCI members, including designers Manish Arora, Ritu Kumar, Rina Dhaka, Rohit Gandhi-Rahul Khanna, Rajesh Pratap Singh and J.J. Valaya.
Sethi has requested the promoters of the Emporio mall to “reconsider any decision that can harm the FDCI, the fashion industry and the designers who are your loyal customers and are also members of the FDCI”.
“As you may be aware, the FDCI is the nodal industry body that holds WIFW under its aegis. A second event claiming to have the same mandate is counterproductive and harms the entire fashion industry,” Sethi wrote.
He said the FDCI is “under attack from a party that is attempting to hijack a mandate that has been successfully executed over the last seven years by the FDCI”.
However, Sethi added that the “FDCI does not wish to interfere with their (Emporio mall’s) decision-making process and marketing efforts”.
- Business, not Bollywood, in focus at WIFW: FDCI chief - Oct 07, 2011
- FDCI forms new board, Sethi remains president - Mar 01, 2011
- Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week begins Oct 23 - Sep 20, 2010
- Japanese designers to showcase at WIFW - Feb 07, 2012
- WIFW widens horizon - fuses fashion with social cause (IANS Preview) - Feb 14, 2012
- 63 designers finalised for WIFW spring/summer edition - Sep 14, 2012
- 'Parallel fashion week will bring confusion and chaos' - Aug 01, 2008
- WIFW Autumn/Winter 2012 to start Feb 15 - Dec 02, 2011
- Business at fashion week broke all records: FDCI chief (Review) - Oct 13, 2011
- WIFW to continue with fashion quiz - Apr 04, 2011
- Too many fashion weeks spoilt the year (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Now Dutch designers join hands with Indian fashion industry (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Tarun Tahiliani to present WIFW grand finale - Sep 29, 2010
- 2008 - year of consolidation for India's fashion world (Yearender - 20) - Dec 30, 2008
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: crab mentality, e mail, fashion body, fashion design council of india, fashion event, fashion industry, fashion show, fdci, india fashion week, j j valaya, loyal customers, marketing efforts, nair, rahul khanna, rajesh pratap singh, ritu kumar, soni, sumeet, sunil sethi, wills lifestyle india fashion week