Fashion Week kicks off with message to ‘Save The Earth’March 12th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Dancers swaying to the primitive beats of drums and sounds of the jungle, followed by models showcasing the creative brilliance of fashion designer Vikram Phadnis set the mood for the Wills Lifestyle Fashion Week (WIFW) that began on a dramatic note today. The fashion event, one of the biggest in the country, conveyed a vital message- ‘protect the mother earth’.
“Save The Earth” as Phadnis titled his show drew the attention of the audience to environmental issues.
“My collection was inspired by elements of nature like soil, water, leaves etc. Since I had to open the fashion week, it was extremely important that the line-up was inspirational and gave a message to all those who were watching it.”
“With the world facing threats like global warming, I tried to convey the message that its high time we must pull up our socks to save our planet through my collection,” Phadnis told IANS.
Commenting on the significance of the dance choreographies, he said: “The movements of dancers signified how human beings have progressed and can now lend their hands in environmental conservation.”
The colour palette varied from aquamarine blue, earthy shades to muted pinks and greens.
Using fabrics like georgettes, linens, silks and jerseys, the designer crafted baby doll dresses, both flared and straight fitted skirts teamed with blouses of varied styles and designs, slacks and stilletoes. The embroidery was muted with lots of French knots.
The fabric was pleated, textured and treated to create embossed floral and geometrical motifs on the outfits. “I drew inspiration from nature for my collection, but I didn’t restrict myself to eco-friendly fabrics alone.”
To create the dramatic effect, the style guru adorned the models with jet-black acrylic hair with sharp edges that pointed outwards. “It was extremely important to have the right hair style, make-up and music. I have had sleepless nights before the fashion week,” Phadnis said.
- Richa Chadha to walk for Debarun at LFW (With Image) - Jul 27, 2012
- High on creativity, Gen Next designers open LFW (With Images) - Aug 17, 2011
- Raakesh Agarvwal sparkles at Pune Fashion Week - Nov 18, 2010
- Felix Bendish to launch clutch line in WIFW - Oct 04, 2011
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- Jacqueline dislikes Bollywood celebs on the ramp - Jul 26, 2011
- Designer gives sari the Dutch touch (With Image) - Aug 16, 2012
- Payal Kapoor to revive Benaras motifs at LFW (With Images) - Jul 20, 2012
- JLo's style, chutzpah inspires designer Charu Parashar - Apr 07, 2011
- Sari gets makeover, new look lures Hollywood - Sep 28, 2011
- Unleash your spiritual side with Krishna, Buddha bags (With Images) - Aug 21, 2011
- Ritu Kumar, Malkani showcase their collections at Lakme Fashion Week - Sep 19, 2010
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- Chitrangada loves 1970s style - Feb 16, 2012
- Wendell Rodricks splashes water on the LFW ramp - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: colour palette, creative brilliance, dramatic effect, dramatic note, elements of nature, environmental conservation, fashion designer, fashion event, fashion week, french knots, geometrical motifs, high time, lifestyle fashion, mother earth, pinks, sharp edges, sleepless nights, soil water, sounds of the jungle, vital message