Farmers rally under Tikait, demand total loan waiverAugust 4th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Farmers from neighbouring states, who converged here Monday morning under the leadership of Mahendra Singh Tikait to protest “anti-farmer policies of the government”, have demanded total waiver of agricultural loans. Tikait, president of Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU), said the recent loan waiver had not helped all farmers as it was meant for only a small chunk of the country’s farming community. The BKU has considerable following among farmers in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana.
“The government should announce a comprehensive loan waiver scheme for all farmers whether they are small or big. Farmers are farmers and they are faced with all types of problems everywhere,” Tikait told IANS.
He said farmers were committing suicide because of the government’s “wrong policies” and that there was no effort to check such extreme steps.
“If the farmers do not get adequate price for their produces, they cannot sustain themselves. Input costs have gone up manifold in view of rising inflation. Therefore, the government must ensure that farmers are adequately paid for their produce,” he said.
Maintaining that the agitation was indefinite, Tikait said: “It all depends on the government’s response. If our demands are sympathetically and effectively considered, we would love to call it off.”
- Farmers warn stir will continue till all loans waived (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- PM assures farmers that their interests will be protected - Mar 08, 2011
- Sugarcane farmers hold demonstrations in Lucknow - Dec 01, 2009
- Tikait had powerful influence across the country: PM - May 15, 2011
- Tikait addresses agitating farmers - Aug 21, 2010
- Famers' interests are paramount: PM - Mar 08, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh invites sugarcane farmers for talks (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- Farmers protest against hike in petrol and diesel prices - Mar 05, 2010
- BJP plans farmers' parliament in Delhi May 12-13 - Apr 14, 2012
- UP to withdraw cases slapped against farmers - Aug 22, 2012
- Gadkari, Dikshit condole Tikait's death - May 15, 2011
- Tikait, a farmers' leader who mastered the art of mass protests (Obituary) - May 15, 2011
- Farmer leader Tikait dies - May 15, 2011
- Protesting farmers invite Tikait to lead agitation - Aug 19, 2010
- Agitating farmers lift Haryana highway blockade - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: agitation, agricultural loans, bku, chunk, committing suicide, farmers, farming community, inflation, input costs, kisan, leadership, mahendra singh, monday morning, neighbouring states, New Delhi, punjab, rally