Farmer’s leader Teotia fasts for sixth day in jailSeptember 11th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Greater Noida, Sep 11 (IANS) The fast of farmer’s leader Manvir Singh Teotia, who led the agitation against land acquisition at Bhatta-Parsaul in Greater Noida in May, continued on the sixth day Sunday in Dasna jail.
His wife Nutan Teotia accused the state government of misleading the media by propagating that Teotia had still not gone on fast.
She said that he had demanded the withdrawal of all criminal cases registered against the peasants, compensation for farmers facing criminal cases and a hike in compensation for land acquisition.
“I have posted about 20 registered letters apprising different authorities in the state and in the central government, including the prime minister, about the ongoing fast of the farmer leader but no authority has responded,” she said.
“On his last visit to the court, Teotia had apprised us regarding his decision to go on fast. Later, former BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) president and Ghaziabad MP Rajnath Singh appealed to Teotia not to go on fast but the farmer leader is adamant on continuing his fast,” she said.
“We have decided to submit a request in court to order his medical check,” said Teotia’s counsel Ved Prakash Sharma.
He alleged the state government implicated him in more than 20 criminal cases.
Teotia was arrested in Delhi in July by Uttar Pradesh police.
Four people were killed and at least 15 injured in a violent clash May 7 between farmers protesting against land acquisition and police.
- Farmer leader Teotia fasts in jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Mother of Greater Noida farmer leader threatens protest - May 28, 2011
- Rs.50,000 reward announced for farmer leader - May 08, 2011
- Bail for man accused of sheltering farmer leader - Jun 09, 2011
- Sachin Pilot arrested on way to Bhatta-Parsaul (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Land protests: Reward announced for five farmer leaders - May 09, 2011
- Bhatta-Parsaul 'rape': Panel warns Uttar Pradesh - Oct 24, 2011
- Tewatia sent to judicial custody over land stir (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Sachin Pilot held on way to Bhatta-Parsaul, released (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- PM announces aid, Pilot tries to enter Bhatta-Parsaul (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011
- Ghaziabad farmers' leader arrested, Manvir Teotia escapes - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: agitation, authorities, bharatiya janata party, central government, farmers, fasts, ghaziabad, janata party president, land acquisition, manvir singh, medical check, mp, peasants, prime minister, rajnath singh, sep 11, sixth day, state government, violent clash