Farmer leader Teotia fasts in jailSeptember 10th, 2011 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Greater Noida, Sep 10 (IANS) Farmer leader Manvir Singh Teotia, who led a farmers’ agitation against land takeover in Bhatta-Parsaul village in Greater Noida in May, is on a fast in Dasna jail since Sep 6, his wife said Saturday.
Nutan Teotia, the farmer leader’s wife, said that he had demanded the withdrawal of all criminal cases registered against peasants, compensation for farmers facing criminal cases and a hike in compensation for land acquisition.
“I have posted about 20 registered letters apprising different authorities in the state and in the central government, including the prime minister, about the ongoing fast of the farmer leader but no authority has responded,” she said.
“On his last visit to the court, Teotia had apprised us regarding his decision to go on fast. Later, former BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) president and Ghaziabad MP Rajnath Singh appealed to Teotia not to go on fast but the farmer leader is adamant on continuing his fast,” she said.
“We have decided to submit a request in court to order his medical check,” said Teotia’s counsel Ved Prakash Sharma.
He alleged the state government implicated him in more than 20 criminal cases.
Teotia was arrested in Delhi in July by Uttar Pradesh police.
Four people were killed and at least 15 injured in a violent clash May 7 between farmers protesting against land acquisition and police.
- Farmer's leader Teotia fasts for sixth day in jail - Sep 11, 2011
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Mother of Greater Noida farmer leader threatens protest - May 28, 2011
- Rs.50,000 reward announced for farmer leader - May 08, 2011
- Bail for man accused of sheltering farmer leader - Jun 09, 2011
- Sachin Pilot arrested on way to Bhatta-Parsaul (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Land protests: Reward announced for five farmer leaders - May 09, 2011
- Tewatia sent to judicial custody over land stir (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Bhatta-Parsaul 'rape': Panel warns Uttar Pradesh - Oct 24, 2011
- Sachin Pilot held on way to Bhatta-Parsaul, released (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- PM announces aid, Pilot tries to enter Bhatta-Parsaul (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011
- Three farmers injured in police firing in Greater Noida (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: agitation, authorities, bharatiya janata party, central government, farmers, fasts, ghaziabad, janata party president, land acquisition, medical check, mp, nutan, peasants, prime minister, rajnath singh, state government, takeover, violent clash