Farmer dies during agitation outside BJP officeJune 15th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) A 75-year-old farmer died Friday when he was holding an agitation along with hundreds of other farmers outside the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) office here, police said.
Kartar Singh, a resident of Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar district, died around 2 p.m. of thirst as there was no drinking water available at the protest site, said a police official.
The farmers, who came in hordes mainly from north Indian states, were holding protest outside the BJP office at Ashoka Road since Friday morning.
They were here to express their solidarity with the farmers of Anuppur district in party-ruled Madhya Pradesh whose lands were awarded to Moser Baer’s thermal power plant in 2010 under the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation and Resettlement (LARR) Act, a BJP leader said on condition of anonymity.
They were demanding fair compensation for their lands, besides immediate release of arrested farmers.
- Depleting water sources in Himachal worry locals - Jun 05, 2012
- 'Fertile land won't be acquired for power plants' - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP calls shutdown in Greater Noida, other areas - May 10, 2011
- Reliance Power leads hydel projects in Himachal Pradesh: Dhumal - Dec 22, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh farmers' continue protest against land acquisition - Aug 24, 2010
- BJP to launch more marches against Uttar Pradesh land acquisition - Jun 12, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh farmers protest land takeover, clash with cops - Jan 21, 2011
- Telangana strike enters 25th day - Oct 07, 2011
- Will continue protest outside PM residence: Kejriwal (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Rights panel finalises Bhatta-Parsaul report - Jul 05, 2011
- Farmers protest in Delhi against land acquisition - Aug 26, 2010
- Prohibitory orders lifted not to suit Rahul: Uttar Pradesh - May 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh farmers renew protest against power project - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: agitation, anonymity, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, drinking water, friday morning, hordes, immediate release, indian states, kartar singh, land acquisition, moser baer, muzaffarnagar district, police official, protest site, resettlement, solidarity, thermal power plant, thirst, uttar pradesh