Farm sector growth will be below 4 percent: Plan panel chiefNovember 4th, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) India’s farm sector growth will be less than 4 percent this fiscal on account of floods and deficient monsoon in some parts of the country, the Planning Commission chief said Wednesday.
“It is extremely unlikely that the agriculture sector will grow more than 4 percent this year. The sector is not growing as it should have been,” Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said at the annual Economic Editors’ Conference here.
However, this would not pose a problem to food supplies in the country, he added.
“We don’t need more than 2 percent (growth) of agriculture production,” Ahluwalia said, adding that the country would not face any food shortage if the sector expanded by this amount.
He further emphasised the importance of using existing technologies and proper farming techniques to increase yields.
Increase in procurement prices and supportive government policies would help the farming sector to perform better in the 11th Plan period that ends 2012, Ahluwalia said.
“The price policy we follow is extremely supportive. We should recognise that farmers must have attractive prices. In the past three-four years, we have increased our procurement also.”
India’s agricultural sector grew 1.6 percent last fiscal, down from 4.9 percent in 2007-08.
- Farm sector growth will be below 4 percent: Ahluwalia (Lead) - Nov 04, 2009
- Private participation vital to expedite development in northeast: Plan panel - Mar 30, 2012
- Indian economy grows at a sluggish 5.5 percent in Q1 (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Indian economy to grow by 6.9 percent this fiscal (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- 12th Plan growth projection lowered to 8.2 percent - Sep 14, 2012
- Plan panel hints at 9-9.5 percent growth in 12th Plan - Jun 10, 2011
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Montek bats for FDI in agriculture - Feb 04, 2011
- India to set 9 percent growth target for next five year plan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Rate cut will stimulate growth: Montek - Apr 17, 2012
- Karnataka holding agri-biz summit to woo investments - Nov 25, 2011
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Economic growth may slump to 6.9 percent this fiscal (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Plan panel okays Rs.14,010 crore outlay for Kerala - Apr 20, 2012
- Karnataka economy to dip to 6.4 percent - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: agricultural sector, agriculture production, agriculture sector, attractive prices, deputy chairman, economic editors, editors conference, farm sector, farming sector, farming techniques, food shortage, food supplies, monsoon, montek singh ahluwalia, panel chief, plan period, planning commission, procurement prices, sector growth, supportive government policies