Fake Bank Of America Email Out In WebAugust 28th, 2010 - 7:42 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Aug 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The incidents of hackers trying to gain access to the PCs of unsuspecting users is not new only the way they adopt is changing with time. Earlier the people who sent the malicious codes to others via e mail used the lure of lucrative offers and at times, pornography. However, after some deadly attacks people have become careful about these tactics and so the hackers are adopting new ways to steal the personal information of people and rob them. The latest victims of such online scam are the customers of the bank Of America. Some customers of the bank have reported receiving an unsolicited email that warns the recipients about their account getting deactivated.
The spam mail also asks the users to click on a link to avoid their account getting terminated. However, this is a fake as clicking on the link url takes the user to a malicious site. Thereafter, the security of his PC can be compromised and the system and the OS may also get corrupted. Such attachments and mails with dubious contents should always be scanned with good antivirus and internet security applications.
The recent Bank of America fake mail cannot be detected by the leading antivirus software, which is quite alarming. This is also natural as antivirus protection is reactive by nature. The users who have got this email have been asked not to respond to it or click on the link at any cost. Bank of America is yet to react on this issue. The discovery has created wave among the tech security farms and they are trying to come up with a solution.
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
- Spam emails claiming celeb deaths contain virus, spyware - Aug 25, 2010
- Malicious software links featuring bin-Laden's pics could be a virus: FBI - May 04, 2011
- AV Security Suite: Wolf In The Clothing Of Lamb - Jun 08, 2010
- Rogue Facebook App Affects 300,000 Users - Jul 07, 2010
- A worm in the apple: Macs in crosshairs of hackers - Aug 31, 2009
- Wave of spams counter Facebook joy over Osama's death - May 03, 2011
- Twitter accounts hacked, flooded with spam - Dec 14, 2010
- Phishers start angling for Facebook, twitter - May 26, 2009
- Facebook Attacked By New Worm, Again! - Oct 02, 2010
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- India tops in originating spam, phishing in Asia: Report - May 11, 2010
- Malware Threat Reaching All Time High, Warns Top System Security Firms - Aug 11, 2010
- New Facebook Worm Affects Millions Of Users - Jun 05, 2010
- Indian home ministry computers under virus attack - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: antivirus software, attachments, bank of america, discovery, e mail, fake mail, hackers, internet security applications, new ways, pornography, ranjan, spam mail, unsolicited email, unsuspecting users