Facebook registers 200 million usersApril 10th, 2009 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 9 (DPA) Five years after it was founded in a Harvard dorm room, the online social networking site Facebook has registered its 200 millionth user, the site confirmed Thursday.
“Growing rapidly to 200 million users is a really good start, but we’ve always known that in order for Facebook to help people represent everything that is happening in their world, everyone needs to have a voice,” said Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
“This is why we are working hard to build a service that everyone, everywhere can use, whether they are a person, a company, a president or an organization working for change.”
The company is considered to be the largest social networking site on the Internet, dwarfing the 130 million members affiliated with rival site MySpace.com.
Facebook says that 100 million users visit the site every day, and users have an average of 120 “friends” on their networks. The service is available in 40 languages, with 70 percent of its users outside the US.
Facebook is also one of the largest privately-held companies active on the internet and has reportedly repeatedly rebuffed buyout offers from web giants like Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.
In 2007, Microsoft invested $240 million in the site in 2007 in return for a 1.6 percent equity stake in a deal that valued Facebook at approximately $15 billion.
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Facebook files for $5 bn IPO - Feb 02, 2012
- Mark Zuckerberg sued by Facebook investors - Jun 05, 2012
- Yahoo, Facebook form advertising alliance - Jul 10, 2012
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft - Apr 24, 2012
- Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg named TIME's Person of the Year - Dec 16, 2010
- Study reveals that 1 in 3 Facebook users are getting bored with the site - Jun 08, 2012
- Facebook to announce new tie-ups: Report - Sep 21, 2011
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook denies shutdown rumors - Jan 10, 2011
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook plans to go public to raise $87bn - May 04, 2012
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- China state fund eyes Facebook stake - Jul 02, 2011
- Facebook dismisses shutting down rumors - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: 100 million, ceo mark, dorm room, equity stake, facebook, google, google yahoo, harvard, languages, largest privately held companies, mark zuckerberg, microsoft, millionth user, online social networking, registers, san francisco, social networking site, web giants, working for change, yahoo