Exxon Mobil’s earnings fallApril 27th, 2012 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 27 (IANS) US oil giant Exxon Mobil said Thursday its earnings fell 11 percent in the first quarter of the year, due to lower oil-and-gas production and higher exploration costs.
Earnings for the first quarter were $9.5 billion, down from $10.7 billion in the year-ago period, the world’s biggest energy company by market value said in a statement.
The company’s oil-equivalent production fell more than five percent, offsetting gains from higher oil and gas prices, the company said.
Oil and gas prices rose to the highest levels ever recorded during a first quarter, reported Xinhua.
The company’s operational expenses rose to $1 billion, also contributing to its weaker-than-expected first-quarter performance.
Total revenue for the first quarter increased nine percent to $124 billion, from $114 billion a year ago, said the company, based in Texas.
Exxon Mobil is not the only US oil giants that were hurt by lower production. The country’s third largest oil company ConocoPhillips said Monday its first-quarter profit dropped 3 percent because it produced less oil and gas.
- US stocks rally on housing data - Apr 27, 2012
- US stocks close higher on earnings, consumer spending - Apr 30, 2011
- 25 injured in clash with Dhaka police - Dec 30, 2011
- Russia's Gazprom world's most profitable firm in 2011 - Jul 31, 2012
- Despite record profits, Apple disappoints Wall Street - Oct 19, 2011
- Wall Street plunges amid concerns over Libya crisis - Feb 24, 2011
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- ONGC Videsh declares progressive 2009-10 financial results - May 22, 2010
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft sign deal for joint development of Arctic and Black Sea resources - Aug 31, 2011
- Ford Q1 profit down 45 percent year on year - Apr 28, 2012
- US stocks end mixed amid strong earnings - Apr 25, 2012
- Reliance Industries net profit rises 15.8 percent - Oct 15, 2011
- ONGC Q2 net profit rises 6 percent - Oct 28, 2010
- ONGC reports Q1 net profit of Rs.6,078 crore - Aug 11, 2012
- Intel quarterly profit drops - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, conocophillips, earnings, energy company, exploration costs, exxon, exxon mobil, first quarter, oil and gas, oil and gas prices, oil and gas production, oil company, oil giant, oil giants, operational expenses, quarter performance, quarter profit, xinhua