Extra subsidised rice to poor in 12 districts in NortheastJuly 23rd, 2012 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 23 (IANS) The central government has provided additional quota of rice at a subsidised rate for the poor living in 12 backward districts in the northeast, a state government official said here Monday.
“The union ministry of consumer affairs, food and public distribution on the direction of the Supreme Court has allocated additional quota of food grain to identified 174 districts in 27 states, which include 12 districts in northeast region,” Tripura Principal Secretary (food department) B.K. Roy told reporters.
Of the 12 backward and poor districts in northeast India, five are in Assam followed by one each in Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura.
The eight northeastern states have 90 districts.
“The identified poor people are now getting food grain on ad hoc basis up to 35 kg per month per family at a subsidised rate for a period ending March 2013,” Roy added.
The rate of food grain differs state to state. The Tripura government has recently decided to provide rice under the public distribution system (PDS) to the poor at Rs.2 a kg from next month.
The Supreme Court had constituted a Central Vigilance Committee (CVC) under Justice D.P. Wadhwa to supervise the PDS in 174 districts, identified by the Planning Commission in 2006 following a writ petition filed by the People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) alleging irregularities in various food and works related schemes.
“The apex court time to time has been giving various directions on the supply of food grain. Providing extra quota of food grain to identified 174 districts in 27 states was its latest direction,” the official added.
- Give five mn tonnes food grains in 150 poor districts: Court - May 15, 2011
- PUCL approaches apex court on foodgrain for needy families - Sep 24, 2010
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- Govt. cannot follow SC's direction on foodgrain distribution: Pawar - Aug 19, 2010
- Right to Food campaign demands universal PDS - Nov 01, 2011
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Thousands of tribals starving in Mizoram, claims NGO - Dec 23, 2010
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- Concerns on food bill to be addressed: Thomas - Feb 09, 2012
- NAC to consider food security proposals today - Aug 30, 2010
- Centre, Bengal spar over food grain allotment utilisation - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: agartala, apex court, civil liberties, court time, food department, food grain, getting food, ministry of consumer, ministry of consumer affairs, nagaland, northeast india, northeastern states, principal secretary, public distribution system, s union, subsidised rate, tripura government, union ministry, vigilance committee, writ petition