Exports, imports decline in FebruaryApril 1st, 2009 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) India’s merchandise exports dipped 21.7 percent in February to Rs.58,685 crore ($11.91 billion), as compared to Rs.60,476 crore ($15.22 billion) in the corresponding month last year, according to government data released Wednesday.
Exports figures have been contracting since last October, forcing the commerce ministry to revise the target for 2008-09 to $175 billion from $200 billion following fall in overseas demand.
February’s imports also contracted 23.3 percent to $16.82 billion, as against $21.93 billion earned the same month last year, the government said.
Trade deficit this February stood at $4.91 billion, 26.83 percent lower than $6.71 billion in the corresponding month last year.
Oil imports during the month fell 47.5 percent to $4 billion, as compared to $7.71 billion in 2008 February, while non-oil imports, which includes capital goods as well as raw material contracted around 10 percent to $12.77 billion.
Between April and February in 2008-09, exports grew 7.3 percent to $156.6 billion. Imports expanded 19.1 percent in this period to $271.68 billion, as against $228.08 billion in the corresponding period the previous year.
- Tough times ahead for Indian exporters, forecasts Moody's - Apr 01, 2009
- US crisis may hit India's exports: Rangarajan - Aug 01, 2011
- India's exports up 46 percent in June - Aug 01, 2011
- Myanmar, India step up cooperation in health sector - Aug 03, 2011
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- India's exports fall in May - Jul 02, 2012
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- India's exports may touch $235 billion in 2010-11 - Mar 10, 2011
- 29.5 percent cumulative export growth in India between April-Dec 2010-11 (Part I) - Feb 25, 2011
- India's merchandise exports decline ninth straight month (Lead) - Aug 03, 2009
- India's exports rise by 3.23 percent in April - Jun 01, 2012
- India's exports rise 34.8 percent in February - Mar 31, 2010
- India's exports drop by 5.71 percent in March - May 01, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- India's cumulative export growth in April- Dec stands at 29.5 per cent - Feb 25, 2011