Exclusive electricity grid for Commonwealth GamesJune 11th, 2009 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) BSES, one of the two private power distribution firms in the national capital, is setting up a Rs.400-million ($8 million) electricity grid that will exclusively serve the upcoming athletes village for the Commonwealth Games next year.
“We will provide uninterrupted power supply to the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Apart from continuous electricity at stadiums, we will also have an exclusive grid for the Games Village by the end of this year,” BSES chief executive Lalit Jalan said.
“More than 30 percent of the grid area will be covered by trees. It will be a green grid,” Jalan told reporters here, giving an update on the company, which is part of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.
The grid will also have landscaping and deploy the latest energy conservation techniques, and will be located near the Akshardham temple across the Yamuna.
Senior BSES officials said in the seven years since distribution of electricity has been privatised in the capital, the company has managed to cut the losses on account of theft and transmission to 20 percent from 60 percent.
“In the process, the Delhi government has been able to save Rs.13,729 crore (Rs.137.29 billion/$2.75 billion),” Jalan said.
- BSES to provide uninterrupted power during CWG - Aug 06, 2010
- Fool-proof power supply for Games venues: BSES - Aug 13, 2010
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Power to cost more in Delhi, Dikshit indicates - Jun 25, 2012
- BSES Delhi says dues to NTPC will be cleared Monday - Sep 04, 2011
- BSES Delhi says issues over payments to NTPC will be resolved - Sep 02, 2011
- Anil Ambani firm to help Afghanistan rebuild power distribution - Dec 05, 2008
- Power cuts in some Delhi areas Tuesday - Oct 03, 2011
- No power tariff hike in Delhi this year: Dikshit - Jul 05, 2010
- Pay part dues, apex court tells Delhi's power firms (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- BJP to hold public meetings on power tariff June 14 - Jun 11, 2010
- Reliance Infra's Q2 operating revenue up 44 percent - Nov 08, 2011
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Delhi's BSES launches save power campaign - May 24, 2011
- Delhi to extend financial help to BSES - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, akshardham temple, athletes village, bses, delhi government, distribution firms, distribution of electricity, electricity grid, energy conservation techniques, games new, grid area, lalit, losses, New Delhi, power distribution, private power, reliance anil dhirubhai ambani group, seven years, stadiums, uninterrupted power supply