Ex-judge’s comment on Jaitapur N-plant unscientific: RameshMay 23rd, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh Monday termed “unscientific and disappointing” former Delhi High Court chief justice A.P. Shah’s statement that Jaitapur nuclear power project in Maharashtra would be a catastrophe if all safety concerns were not addressed.
“It is very much an unscientific approach to a scientific matter. I am very disappointed with Justice Shah’s statement,” Ramesh told reporters here.
Shah during a public hearing on the safety, viability and cost efficiency of nuclear energy in Chennai Saturday said the Jaitapur project would be a catastrophe if all the safety concerns were not addressed.
Justice Shah, who is heading a two-judge people’s tribunal along with Justice S.D. Pandit, said: “Enron was only a financial disaster, but this (Jaitapur project) would be a catastrophe. Unfortunately, there is no public debate in the country. Everything is hush-hush.”
Shah was appalled after it was pointed out that there was no safety study conducted by the Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC).
“There is a clear failure of undertaking a safety study. The EAC should ask for another Environment Impact Assessment (EIA),” he added.
People in Jaitapur have been protesting against the 9,900-MW nuclear power plant saying it will affect the environment.
- German bank pulls out of Jaitapur nuclear project: Greenpeace - Mar 15, 2011
- Shiv Sena politicising Jaitapur issue: Ramesh (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Jaitapur plant's safety not my job: Jairam - Mar 16, 2011
- Shiv Sena trying to politicise Jaitapur issue: Ramesh - Apr 19, 2011
- PM asked to cancel Jaitapur nuclear project - Aug 26, 2012
- Jaitapur nuclear power project stays, asserts Jairam Ramesh (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Government pushes ahead with Jaitapur n-project - Apr 26, 2011
- Can take a 'relook' at Jaitapur environment concerns: Ramesh - Mar 15, 2011
- Jaitapur will be implemented, declares Jairam Ramesh - Apr 15, 2011
- Government pushes for Jaitapur n-project with added safety, higher compensation (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- New nuclear regulatory authority to be set up: Government - Apr 26, 2011
- Villagers continue to agitate over proposed Jaitapur nuke power project - Feb 27, 2011
- Jaitapur nuclear power project discussed by Manmohan Singh and Chavan - Apr 26, 2011
- Jaitapur nuclear plant issue being politicised: Ramesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Jaitapur n-plant site issue being politicised, says Ramesh (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: appraisal committee, catastrophe, chennai, chief justice, cost efficiency, delhi high court, environment impact assessment, expert appraisal, financial disaster, jairam ramesh, New Delhi, nuclear energy, nuclear power plant, nuclear power project, pandit, public debate, public hearing, safety concerns, safety study, viability