Everonn managing director, tax official heldAugust 30th, 2011 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 30 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday arrested P. Kishore, managing director of listed company Everonn Education Ltd and Additional Commissioner of Income Tax Andasu Ravindar in a bribery case here.
According to a CBI release, Ravindar accepted Rs.5 million as bribe to conceal a taxable income of Rs.60 crore out of Rs.116 crore unearthed during a search and survey operation in Everonn’s premises here Aug 4.
The Rs.301 crore revenue Everonn provides educational courses online.
The CBI said Kishore, after the search operations by the Income Tax department, contacted Ravindar through a chartered accountant to reduce the tax liability.
After negotiations, Ravindar agreed to suppress Rs.60 crore of taxable income on the condition that he be paid a bribe of Rs.5 million.
As per Ravindar’s instructions, Kishore brought the bribe money to the former’s residence in a cardboard box used for packing fans.
Ravindar wanted to shift the bribe money to some unknown place from his residence through another individual Uttam Chand Bohra, who too has been arrested.
Acting on a tip-off, the CBI apprehended Ravindar and Bohra when they were trying to remove the Rs.5 million to a secret location.
According to the CBI, searches are being conducted at Mumbai, Hyderabad, Visakhapattinam, Bangalore and Chennai and they have seized Rs.4.8 million from the residence of Bohra and Rs.1 million from other places.
The CBI has also seized 1.8 kg gold jewellery from Ravindar’s house.
- Everonn Education to appoint 1,000 franchisees - Dec 09, 2010
- IT commissioner nabbed taking Rs.2 lakh bribe - Aug 29, 2011
- CBI nabs another Mumbai IT officer in Rs.15 mn bribe case - Apr 19, 2010
- CBI arrests income tax official for taking bribe - Apr 06, 2011
- CBI seizes documents from Reddy associates - Sep 19, 2011
- Black money worth Rs.300 crore unearthed - Dec 20, 2011
- Mumbai income tax commissioner, two others held for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Opposition wants CBI probe into money seizure - Mar 22, 2012
- Income Tax commissioner in Mumbai nabbed for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Rs.10 million in cash seized from cars - Mar 14, 2011
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- Income tax raids on pharma company - May 28, 2011
- CBI searches BEML chairman's office, residence - Apr 19, 2012
- I will appeal to higher court: Sukh Ram - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: bohra, bribe money, bribery case, cardboard box, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chartered accountant, crore, education ltd, educational courses, gold jewellery, hyderabad, listed company, rs 1, search operations, secret location, tax liability, taxable income, unknown place, uttam chand