Eurozone unemployment rises to 10 percent, Spain hits 19.5 percentFebruary 8th, 2010 - 7:52 pm ICT by BNO News
PARIS (BNO NEWS) — The unemployment in the Eurozone, an economic and monetary union of sixteen European Union member states, rose to ten percent in December 2009.
Figures from the Paris-based Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which is an international economic organization of 30 countries, showed that unemployment in the Eurozone rose to 10.0% in December 2009, up 0.1 percentage point from the previous month. Compared to December 2008, the unemployment rate increased 1.8%.
The figures showed that Spain had the highest unemployment rate in December, 19.5 percent (up 0.1% from November), followed by the Slovak Republic (13.6 percent), Ireland (13.3 percent) and Portugal (10.4 percent). France stood at 10.0 percent.
All Eurozone countries, except Austria, Finland, Germany and France, posted a monthly increase in its unemployment rate. Statistics for Greece, Cyprus, Malta and Slovenia were not available. Ireland posted the biggest month on month increase: 0.3 percent.
Austria and Finland showed the most positive results, as its unemployment levels decreased 0.1 percent to 5.4% and 8.8%. Germany and France´s unemployment level kept steady at 7.5 and 10.0 percent.
The Netherlands had the lowest unemployment rate in the Eurozone, 4.0 percent. The number rose about 0.1 percent from November.
- EU unemployment rate reaches 14-year high - Apr 02, 2012
- OECD unemployment rate steady at 8.7% in April - Jun 14, 2010
- France sees increase in jobseekers - May 31, 2012
- EU's retail trade rate decreases by .2 percent - Nov 05, 2010
- Unemployment in France goes up - Mar 27, 2012
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- S&P; places EU, big European banks on negative watch - Dec 08, 2011
- Spain jobless rate may rise to 23 percent - Nov 29, 2011
- Unemployment in France grows in October - Nov 29, 2011
- US stocks end higher amid European optimism (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- UN: European financial crisis slowing down global manufacturing - Mar 03, 2012
- German business sentiment optimistic - May 31, 2012
- Britain to return to recession in 2012 - Nov 28, 2011
- South Korea's unemployment rate falls a little - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: based organization, bno, development oecd, economic and monetary union, economic organization, european union, european union member states, eurozone countries, finland, greece cyprus, malta, netherlands, percentage point, rate statistics, slovak republic, slovenia, unemployment level, unemployment levels, unemployment rate, union member states