European industrial production plunges as inflation dropsApril 16th, 2009 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 16 (DPA) European industrial production plunged by an annual 18.4 percent in February, according to data released Thursday, amid dwindling inflationary pressures and signs that the global recession has tightened its grip on the region’s economy.
The European Union’s (EU) statistics office, Eurostat, said the sharp fall in industrial production in the 16-member eurozone followed a 2.3 percent drop in February compared with January.
However, the month-on-month February fall was less than the 2.7 percent drop predicted by economists.
Eurostat also revised down the January monthly decline to a 2.4 percent decrease from an initial estimate of a 3.5 percent slump.
Eurostat data confirmed March inflation in the eurozone coming in at an annual 0.6 percent, compared with 1.2 percent in February as energy costs and food prices eased. A year earlier the eurozone inflation rate stood at 3.8 percent.
Moreover, the signs of continuing economic weakness in the eurozone and falling inflation are likely to help strengthen the case for the European Central Bank to deliver another rate cut at its meeting set for next month.
In the broader 27-member European Union, industrial production dropped by a hefty 17.5 percent year-on-year in February and by 1.9 percent month-on-month.
Annual inflation in the EU was 1.3 percent in March 2009, down from 1.8 percent in February. A year earlier the rate was 3.8 percent.
- Eurozone inflation rate drops slightly to 2.5 percent - Jul 29, 2011
- Eurozone's retail sales up - Mar 06, 2012
- Euro area inflation jumps to 2.7 percent in March - Apr 15, 2011
- Sri Lanka's inflation drops - Mar 01, 2012
- EU unemployment rate reaches 14-year high - Apr 02, 2012
- European industrial production falls in June - Aug 12, 2009
- China's inflation eases (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- European inflation slips back amid signs of slowing economies - Sep 15, 2010
- China's GDP growth slows to 8.1 percent (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- China surpasses US as EU's top trade partner - Oct 16, 2011
- China's FDI goes down (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- EU's jobless rate jumps to 10.1 percent, consumer prices rises to 1.9 percent - Oct 29, 2010
- Food inflation dips to six-year low, relief for consumer (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent; WPI may fall to 6 percent: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Indian economy hit by high inflation, slowing growth (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: berlin, decline, dpa, economic weakness, economists, economy, energy costs, european union, eurostat data, eurozone, food prices, global recession, inflation rate, inflationary pressures, initial estimate, plunges, signs, slump, statistics office