Europe-India Gateway submarine cable launchedFebruary 25th, 2011 - 12:57 am ICT by IANS
Dubai, Feb 24 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates leading telecom company, du, Thursday announced partial activation of the new Europe-India Gateway (EIG) submarine cable, which will enhance capacity and diversity between Europe and Asia, including India. The EIG submarine cable was conceived by a 16-member consortium of leading regional and international operators responsible for the construction of the $700 million submarine cable system.
du invested $50 million in the EIG cable system.
“The launch of the Europe-India Gateway Submarine cable system is significant for the UAE, as it helps the country in becoming a centre-point for connectivity in the region,” said Farid Faraidooni, chief commercial officer, du.
EIG consortium members are accepting delivery of more than 11,300 km of the total 15,000 km EIG cable system, which was announced in 2008, and 11 of the 13 cable landing sites.
The only remaining segment to be completed for the EIG is in Egypt where there are two landing sites. When fully activated with the Egypt link, the EIG will be the first direct high-bandwidth optical fibre system from Britain to India.
In addition to complementing existing high-bandwidth cable systems in the region, the EIG will provide much needed diversity for broadband traffic, which currently relies on traditional routes from Europe to India. This diversity is important due to the threat of submarine cable cuts in the region.
In addition to du’s UAE site, the accepted active EIG cable landing sites include those in Britain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Monaco, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Djibouti, Oman, India and a terminal site in Marseille, France.
- Europe-India Gateway telecom system on verge of operation - Feb 23, 2011
- Sify unveils undersea cable landing station in Mumbai - Jan 11, 2012
- Omantel signs 700m-dollar deal for submarine cable system connecting India -UK - May 08, 2008
- Britain-India undersea cable system to be launched in 2010 - May 09, 2008
- Bharti-partnered undersea cable linking Japan and US launched - Apr 01, 2010
- Alcatel-Lucent to build part of Europe-India submarine cable - Aug 05, 2008
- Submarine cable fault affects Internet services in east Africa - Feb 28, 2012
- UAE to reduce prices of 115 pharmaceutical drugs - Nov 10, 2011
- Iftar hosted for 35 orphans in UAE - Aug 19, 2011
- UAE greets India, Pakistan on Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- UAE expresses concern over Egypt crisis - Feb 05, 2011
- Reliance unit launches subsea cable service in Iraq - Jul 02, 2012
- Now browse Facebook on your mobile for free - May 26, 2010
- UAE advocates free trade - Feb 22, 2011
- Britain, UAE discuss Middle East peace process - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: 50 million, cable systems, consortium members, djibouti, egypt link, gibraltar, high bandwidth, international operators, kv, launch, libya, marseille france, member consortium, new europe, saudi arabia, submarine cable system, telecom company, uae, united arab emirates, vd