Eurasian leaders meet Friday to discuss market crisisOctober 8th, 2008 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 8 (RIA Novosti) The leaders of the Eurasian Economic Community (Eurasec) will gather in the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek Friday to discuss joint measures to tackle the global financial crisis. “We will try to make progress at Eurasec on the economic environment. What is happening in the world is pushing us,” Russian presidential aide Sergei Prikhodko said, adding that the summit will focus on the slowdown in WTO membership talks and the global credit crunch.
Eurasec, established in 2000, is an international economic organization, consisting of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan. Armenia, Moldova, and Ukraine have observer status.
The agenda for the summit will also include setting up a customs union among Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, said Prikhodko, adding that the other Eurasec members will also have an opportunity to join the customs union.
Tair Mansurov, the Eurasec secretary general, said earlier that the customs union could be established in the first half of 2010. Russia’s lower house of parliament, the State Duma, Wednesday ratified documents on forming the strategic alliance.
The Eurasec leaders are also expected to discuss the organization’s agenda for 2008-2010, including joint cooperation in the energy, transport, security, social and humanitarian spheres, as well as migration policy.
- CIS leaders call for free trade deal, peaceful end to conflicts - Sep 03, 2011
- Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan to establish common economic space before 2012 - Dec 28, 2009
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Toll in Kyrgyz violence rises to 117 - Jun 14, 2010
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Toll in Kyrgyz violence rises to 82 (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- India unveils ambitious 'Connect' with Central Asia (Comment) - Jun 18, 2012
- Most CIS states sign free trade zone agreement - Oct 19, 2011
- India issues advisory for students bound for Eurasia - Oct 19, 2011
- Industrial-innovation Kazakhstan's new economic focus - Jan 28, 2012
- 116 Indians stranded in Kyrgyzstan, India assures all help (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- World Boxing meet: 72 boxers qualify for London Olympics - Oct 07, 2011
- 116 Indians stranded in Kyrgyzstan, India assures help (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Turkey, Kyrgyzstan to lift visa restrictions - Apr 27, 2011