EU raises humanitarian assistance to Sri LankaMay 8th, 2011 - 6:00 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 8 (IANS) The European Union has raised its humanitarian support to Sri Lanka by another 10 million euro (around $14 million, EuAsiaNews reported.
This will finance further assistance for internally displaced Sri Lankans, helping them to return to their homes, and ensuring that basic services are in place for the returnees, said a statement issued by the European Commission.
The additional resources will also bring humanitarian aid to vulnerable Sri Lankan refugees in India, and will reach the most affected victims of the floods that ravaged Sri Lanka’s eastern province earlier this year, it noted.
Many Sri Lankans who had been internally displaced by violence have returned home since the conflict ended in May 2009.
Still, some 75,000 refugees continue to lead a difficult life in camps in India’s southern state of Tamil Nadu, the statement said.
The EU’s executive body said it has been supporting vulnerable communities in Sri Lanka with humanitarian aid since 1992.
Since the end of the conflict in 2009, the European Commission said it has been catering for the humanitarian needs of internally displaced persons in Sri Lanka with a series of emergency financing decisions which total 14 million euro.
Sri Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu have also been provided aid worth one 1 million euro by the European Commission for their protection, psychosocial support, water and sanitation and shelter.
- Sri Lankan refugees return from India - Oct 12, 2011
- Satisfied with displaced Sri Lankan Tamils' rehabilitation : EU - Feb 17, 2012
- US gives more aid to Sri Lanka refugees - Jun 18, 2010
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- EU offers $28 mn aid to Syria - Jun 09, 2012
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- India votes for US resolution on Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- EU to provide $4 mn for relief operations in Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2009
- EU: we cannot lose sight of Thai refugee camps - Mar 11, 2011
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- EU sends $2.5 mn to conflict victims in Kashmir - Jul 09, 2010
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Five jailed by Hague court for helping LTTE - Oct 22, 2011
- Former LTTE leader slams Tamil Nadu politicians - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 10 million, additional resources, brussels, conflict, eastern province, european commission, european union, executive body, floods, humanitarian aid, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian support, many sri lankans, refugees in india, returnees, sri lankan, state of tamil nadu, vulnerable communities, water and sanitation