EU ministers fail to agree on banning flights to MexicoMay 1st, 2009 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Luxembourg, May 1 (Xinhua) Health ministers from 27 European Union (EU) nations have failed to reach an agreement on a French call to temporarily ban all EU flights to Mexico in view of the deadly swine flu outbreak in that country.
They however stressed on a coordinated approach to fight the swine flu.
France has urged the EU to suspend all flights to Mexico where the deadly influenza A(H1N1) virus (also known as swine flu) have killed more than 170 people.
The EU ministers did not agree on the proposal nor did they issue any travel warning against Mexico, as most of the countries have doubted the effectiveness of such a ban in containing the further spread of the flu.
Czech Health Minister Daniela Filipiova said Thursday “any (EU) reaction” to the disease “will continue to be a common one” and any action taken by the EU “should be in a coordinated manner”.
The ministers called for cooperation at the international level to fight swine flu.
They agreed to cooperate “without delay” with the pharmaceutical sector to develop a vaccine to treat swine flu and share health information concerning the treatment and prevention of the disease.
They have also decided to establish a special expert committee that will meet regularly to coordinate measures in fighting the flu.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- World held its breath as swine flu grew into pandemic (Flashback 2009) - Dec 30, 2009
- Ban on travel to Mexico not needed now, says EU - Apr 30, 2009
- EU debates sharing of swine flu vaccine - Oct 12, 2009
- 100 mn Chinese vaccinated for swine flu - May 14, 2010
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- Mexico flu toll rises to 60 - May 14, 2009
- Swine flu probably originated in US, says Mexico - Mar 30, 2010
- India prepared to deal with bird flu: Government - Aug 31, 2011
- Flights may be mode of spreading swine flu - Jun 04, 2010
- Mexico woos tourists after swine flu - May 14, 2009
- US urges Russia, China to lift pork import ban - May 02, 2009
Tags: cooperation, daniela, european union, expert committee, flights, flu, flu france, flu outbreak, health information, health minister, health ministers, influenza, may 1, measures, pharmaceutical sector, prevention, proposal, swine flu, travel warning, xinhua