EU grants protected status for Darjeeling teaOctober 26th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Oct 26 (IANS) The European Union (EU) has registered India’s Darjeeling tea as a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI), that seek to protect product names from misuse and imitation.
It is the seventh non-EU product receiving the protected status, following one from Colombia and five from China, the EuAsiaNews reported.
Darjeeling tea has been added to over 1,000 names of agricultural products and foodstuffs protected as PGI in the EU, the European Commission, the EU’s executive body, said in a statement Tuesday.
Three EU schemes known as PDO (protected designation of origin), PGI (protected geographical indication) and TSG (traditional speciality guaranteed) promote and protect names of quality agricultural products and foodstuffs.
These EU schemes encourage diverse agricultural production, protect product names from misuse and imitation and help consumers by giving them information concerning the specific character of the products.
For existing blends mixing Darjeeling tea with non-Darjeeling tea, the EU regulation foresees a five-year transitional period during which the term can continue to be used. After this period these blends would have to be renamed.
Darjeeling tea, grown in Darjeeling district of India’s West Bengal state, is acknowledged to be the finest tea because of its unique flavour.
- Gulf turmoil hit Indian tea exports - Nov 13, 2011
- Neapolitan pizza gets a trademark of protection - Dec 11, 2009
- British city wants a patent on 'Balti' - Jul 02, 2009
- China bars airlines from paying EU carbon emission charge - Feb 06, 2012
- Centre will help revive Kangra tea: Anand Sharma - Apr 10, 2012
- ICAO adopts India's stand against EU aviation norms - Nov 11, 2011
- Famous Hyderabadi Haleem set to get GI tag - Sep 02, 2010
- EU's emissions plans for aviation disappointing: IATA - Dec 21, 2011
- Ban on exports of tea leaves to impact tea industry in Darjeeling - Feb 27, 2011
- Himachal's Kinnaur weavers to benefit from trademark - Oct 20, 2010
- EU exports to India in 2011 worth $36.5 bn - Nov 15, 2011
- EU-India trade rises by 20 percent - Feb 09, 2012
- EU announces trade agreement with Colombia and Peru - Apr 13, 2011
- Britain may limit non-EU immigrants - Jan 21, 2011
- EU suggests 'bilateral track' to resolve India-Italy row - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,