EU calls to expediate free trade deal with IndiaMarch 27th, 2009 - 5:50 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, March 27 (IANS) The European Parliament has expressed disappointment over the slow pace of negotiations on a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with India, EuAsiaNews reported.
In a report adopted during a plenary session of the block in the French city of Strasbourg Thursday, the members expressed disappointment with the slow pace of negotiations.
The European Union (EU) and India launched negotiations on the FTA in 2007.
The Free Trade Agreement between the EU and India would improve market access for goods and services, covering all trade, except for public procurement that New Delhi is not willing to include in the deal.
British parliamentarian Sajjad Karim, who drafted the report, said he would like to see the agreement signed with India by the end of 2010.
Trade between India and the EU is expected to exceed 70.7 billion euros (about $95 billion) by 2010 and 160.6 billion euros by 2015. Bilateral trade in services is expected to exceed 246.8 billion euros by 2015, the report said.
The EU has urged India for a more open visa policy, with multiple entries and minimum one year duration, for the visiting business professionals in the country.
- EU committee urges expediting free trade pact with India - Mar 05, 2009
- EU wants close ties with India's IT sector - Nov 22, 2011
- 'EU-India free trade top priority for Britain' - Nov 11, 2011
- India's trade barriers hampering economic ties: EU - Mar 17, 2011
- Indo-EU Free Trade Agreement by end of the year: Sharma - Jul 29, 2010
- Decks cleared for India-EU trade accord (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- EU-India free trade talks reach decisive moment: Official - Dec 09, 2010
- India-EU close in on trade pact - Dec 10, 2010
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
- India-EU free trade deal by end 2012: German envoy - Jul 14, 2012
- India holds promise for German companies, says envoy - Jan 04, 2012
- EU-India trade rises by 20 percent - Feb 09, 2012
- India, EU should open markets, avoid protectionism: PM - Dec 10, 2010
- Finland hopeful of EU-India trade agreement: Finnish minister - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: bilateral trade, british parliamentarian, brussels, business professionals, disappointment, european parliament, european union, free trade agreement, french city, fta, karim, market access, negotiations, New Delhi, plenary session, public procurement, sajjad, slow pace, strasbourg, visa policy