Etisalat ratings unaffected after its India plansSeptember 24th, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Sep 24 (IANS) Ratings and outlook for the United Arab Emirates’ (UAE) leading telecom services provider Etisalat remained unaffected after it announced plans to enter the booming Indian market.Standard & Poor’s (S&P) said Wednesday its ratings and outlook for Etisalat stayed unaffected at “A+/Stable/A-1″.
Etisalat announced Tuesday it was buying a 45 percent stake in India’s Swan Telecom by subscribing to newly issued shares for a cash consideration of up to $900 million, implying a post-money equity value for 100 percent of the company.
India has a mobile phone network of over 250 million subscribers and adds an estimated 8-9 million users every month. The network is second biggest after China and ranks ahead of that of the US.
Swan holds universal access service licences (UASLs) in 13 telecom circles in India, and is in the process of acquiring UASLs for two more circles.
Together, these licences will enable the company to provide a full spectrum of telecom services, including GSM services, covering a population of over 900 million across India.
According to the S&P statement here, Etisalat has adequate financial flexibility at the rating level to fund the transaction, which is part of its international expansion strategy of capturing growth in rapidly expanding markets.
Pro forma for the cash payment, Etisalat’s adjusted total debt to earnings before income, taxes, deprecition and amortization (EBITDA) for the 12 months ended June 30, 2008, stood at 0.8x, it said.
- Etisalat advises subscribers to 'port out' - Mar 09, 2012
- STel, Etisalat told to restore services till licence expires - Apr 11, 2012
- Etisalat sues Indian joint venture partners for fraud - Feb 23, 2012
- 1.7 mn GSM subscribers in India, Uninor loses 1.1 mn - Aug 16, 2012
- TDSAT notice to Etisalat on RComm's Rs.1,200 crore dues - Feb 23, 2012
- Etisalat buys stake in Swan Telecom, to enter Indian market (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 23, 2008
- Etisalat says won't participate in 2G auction - Sep 05, 2012
- Only fresh equity, not spectrum, sold by phone firms: Chidambaram - Jul 25, 2011
- Etisalat to shut down India operation - Feb 22, 2012
- Ahluwalia defends Swan, Unitech on stake sale after spectrum allocation - Jan 16, 2011
- 'Reliance Communications had no stake in Swan' - Nov 16, 2010
- Shahid Balwa's bail plea defered till Saturday - May 03, 2011
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- What is the 2G spectrum scam about? - Nov 15, 2010
- India adds 1.7 mn GSM subscribers, Uninor loses 1.1 mn (Lead, Correcting headline) - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: financial flexibility, gsm services, india plans, international expansion strategy, million subscribers, mobile phone network, service licences, telecom circles, telecom services provider, united arab emirates