Essar GM gets bail in Maoists ‘payment’ caseJanuary 5th, 2012 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 4 (IANS) A court in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district Wednesday granted bail to an Essar general manager who was arrested in September last year on charges of paying ‘protection money’ to the Maoists.
“The sessions court today granted bail to Essar general manager D.V.C.S. Verma on the condition that he furnish two sureties of Rs.2 lakh each,” K.K. Dubey, counsel of the Essar official, told newsmen at Dantewada, some 380 km south of state capital Raipur.
The court had asked the Essar official not to leave the country without its permission.
The company came under severe criticism in the state after Dantewada police arrested a local contractor B.K. Lala on Sep 9 last year with cash of Rs.15 lakh that he was allegedly transferring to Maoists. In his statement to the police, Lala admitted that he was transferring the cash on behalf of Essar as ‘protection money’.
The Essar group categorically denied having paid any protection money to the Maoists.
But based on Lala’s statement, police on Sep 27 arrested Essar’s General Manager Verma. He was posted in a small town of Kirandul in Dantewada.
- Essar official held for funding Maoists - Sep 28, 2011
- Chhattisgarh conducting intelligence operations against Maoists - Jan 05, 2012
- Suspected Maoist conduit arrested in Delhi - Oct 04, 2011
- Essar under scanner for paying Maoists - Sep 15, 2011
- Essar channelised money to Maoists: Chhattisgarh - Dec 16, 2011
- Lingaram Kodopi and Soni Sori: Chhattisgarh's prisoners of conscience (Special Report) - Aug 04, 2012
- Suspected Maoist conduit's judicial custody extended (Lead) - Oct 05, 2011
- Essar officials questioned over payment to Maoists - Sep 20, 2011
- Apply Chhattisgarh's special security law to Essar, says Congress - Sep 23, 2011
- Rights activists demand release of suspected Maoist sympathiser - Sep 11, 2011
- Soni Sori, Lingaram: Maoist conduits or police trap? - Dec 25, 2011
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- After Kalmadi, his aides Bhanot, Jayachandran get bail (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Change suspected Maoist conduit's jail: Apex court (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011