Erectile dysfunction gives early warning of a heart attackOctober 22nd, 2008 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 22 (ANI): Erectile dysfunction is the best predictor of cardiovascular risk in men, according to an expert.
Dr Geoffrey Hackett from the Good Hope Hospital in Birmingham says that
erectile dysfunction gives a two to three year early warning of a heart attack.
However, the link between erectile dysfunction and the risk of heart disease is being ignored by doctors, adds Hackett.
It is well known that erectile dysfunction a symptom of vascular disease in the smaller arteries doubles the risk of heart disease, a risk equivalent to being a moderate smoker or having an immediate family history of heart disease.
Erectile dysfunction in type 2 diabetes has been shown to be a better predictor of the risk of heart disease than high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
However, despite this considerable evidence erectile dysfunction is still treated as a recreational or lifestyle issue rather than a predictor of a serious health problem, says Hackett.
He says that the British government has pledged to reduce the death rate from coronary heart disease and stroke and related diseases in people under 75 by at least 40 percent by 2010, yet there is no screening for erectile dysfunction in patients with diabetes or heart disease.
“Continuing to ignore these issues on the basis that cardiologists feel uncomfortable mentioning the word ”erection” to their patients or that they may have to deal with the management of a positive response, is no longer acceptable and possibly, based on current evidence, clinically negligent,” Bmj.com quoted him, as saying. (ANI)
- Erectile dysfunction warns of early heart attack - Oct 22, 2008
- Left, right arm differences in BP lowers survival chances - Mar 21, 2012
- Erectile dysfunction can cause heart attack! - Jun 14, 2010
- Viagra 'doesn't work for men with low testosterone' - Sep 25, 2010
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Night shifts raise heart attack risk - Jul 27, 2012
- Intake of egg yolks can block arteries: Study - Aug 14, 2012
- Vitamin D levels linked with health of blood vessels - Apr 04, 2011
- Smoking after stroke raises death risk three-fold - Aug 29, 2012
- Impotence Sufferers At Double Risk of Heart Attack - Mar 17, 2010
- Fasting ensures good health, protects heart - Apr 04, 2011
- The secret to longer-lasting sex lies in your arteries - Dec 01, 2010
- Smoking hasten cardiac problems, cancer in youngsters (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Omega-3 fatty acids limit smoking damage - Apr 22, 2012
- Link between erectile dysfunction and heart disease - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: bmj, british government, cardiovascular risk, coronary heart disease, death rate, dr geoffrey, family history of heart disease, good hope hospital, hackett, health problem, heart attack, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, history of heart disease, immediate family, risk of heart disease, serious health, type 2 diabetes, vascular disease