Equity markets keep getting battered (Second Lead)June 10th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 10 (IANS) The Indian equities markets, which started Tuesday with a huge loss tracking weak global markets, took a fresh battering early afternoon. The Sensex was trading at over 260 points below its previous close. IT, banking, technology, realty and consumer durables scrips were being offloaded by investors. Barring healthcare products, all sectoral indices were in the red.
The market breadth was extremely negative, with 1,670 declining, only 844 advancing and 67 remaining unchanged on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
The 30-share benchmark index of the BSE, the Sensex, fell below the psychologically important 15,000 mark for the second consecutive day since March 19.
The S&P Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange hit the year’s new low at 4,387.70 points, 113.25 points below its previous close.
At 1:30 p.m., the Sensex was down 261.58 points or 1.74 percent at 14,804.52. At the day’s low, it had touched 14,743.08 points.
At the same time the Nifty was at 4,392.30, still 108.65 points or 2.41 percent below its previous close.
But market analysts were optimistic that equities would bounce back enough in late trade to take the Sensex above the 15,000 mark again.
All other Asian markets were also in the red, though Dow Jones and Nasdaq had closed in the green Monday.
The top gainers till early afternoon included Ranbaxy Labs, Cipla, Reliance and BHEL, while the losers included ONGC, HDFC Bank, HDFC, and Infosys.
- Sensex soars in afternoon trade (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Sensex subdued in afternoon trade - Jun 06, 2011
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 299 points lower (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 47 points; capital goods, power stocks up - Jun 20, 2012
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian equities markets rise further (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Sensex falls 58 points; IT, metal stocks slump - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 277 points down in choppy trade (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex holds on to highs in afternoon trade (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: banking technology, bombay stock exchange, bse, consumer durables, early afternoon, global markets, healthcare products, investors, march 19, market breadth, scrips, sectoral indices, sensex, share benchmark index