‘Energy deficit to hit industrial production in May-June’April 17th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) Industrial production in the northern and western regions is likely to decline nearly 30 percent in May and June due to a worsening power deficit, said a report by an industry lobby released Friday.
Currently, according to the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham), industrial units in the region do not receive 18 percent of the power they require.
This is likely to cross 25 percent in May and June, the report said. “The transmission and distribution losses in the northern and western regions have touched around 50 percent amounting to huge power shortages,” the report said.
In a communication to the power ministry and the Central Electricity Authority (CEA), Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat has demanded transmission and distribution lines be repaired.
In Delhi, Punjab and Haryana, transmission and distribution losses are estimated around 40 percent.
Rawat said Assocham members from Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Goa have complained that they may have to curtail production by over 30 percent due to inconsistent power supplies even during peak hours.
In the first half of April, industrial units in the region curtailed production by 18-20 percent.
Maharashtra, one of India’s most industrialised states, faces an energy deficit of up to 20 percent and six-seven hours of power cuts daily.
In Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, this exceeds 10-12 hours a day.
- Blackout hits business activities - Jul 30, 2012
- Power trip in seven states hits millions (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power shortages may hit industrial output: Assocham - Oct 18, 2011
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power supply partially restored in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 30, 2012
- Power supply hit in north India - Jul 30, 2012
- 60 percent supply restored after major power breakdown - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power crisis grips northeast India: Tripura minister - May 10, 2012
- Rationalise tax structure for aviation sector: Assocham - Nov 12, 2011
- Delhi Metro services resume on all lines (Third Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- No load-shedding in 70 percent of Maharashtra: Official - May 04, 2012
- Jaypee's transmission line synchronized with Powergrid - Mar 06, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 19 states, 600 million people hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: assocham, central electricity, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, distribution lines, distribution losses, electricity authority, energy deficit, gujarat, industry of india, madhya pradesh, maharashtra, peak hours, power ministry, power shortages, punjab, rawat, seven hours, uttar pradesh, western regions