Eleven-day Buddhist chanting prayer ceremony begins at Bodh GayaDecember 1st, 2008 - 7:09 pm ICT by ANI
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Dec 1 (ANI): Hundreds of Buddhist monks and devotees from across the globe gathered in Bodh Gaya for an eleven-day long chanting prayer ceremony for world peace that started on Monday.
Monks and nuns in saffron robes chanted scriptures of the ”Tipitaka”, the collected teachings of Lord Buddha in the sacred Pali language, at Mahabodhi temple.
The monks prayed for the prosperity and well-being of all living creatures.
The aim of this prayer is that there should be peace in the world, and prosperity and happiness should prevail among all living beings, said Bhante Dinanand, a monk.
Lord Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment while doing penance under the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya where emperor Ashoka built the Mahabodhi temple complex about 250 years after the Buddha’’s enlightenment.
Lord Buddha, founder of Buddhism was a prince at Lumbini in Nepal over 2,600 years ago. He attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya in Bihar. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: bihar, bodhi tree, buddha, buddhist monks, devotees, enlightenment, founder of buddhism, gaya, lord buddha, lumbini, mahabodhi temple, monks and nuns, pali language, peace in the world, penance, prayer ceremony, prosperity, saffron robes, tipitaka, world peace