EIH to rethink Kabini project in KarnatakaAugust 8th, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 7 (IANS) Hospitality major EIH Ltd Tuesday said it would “rethink” its upcoming Kabini jungle lodge project in Karnataka as it is facing uncertainty.
The company’s Oberoi Vanyavilas, situated at Rajasthan’s Ranthambore national park, is also facing an uncertain future following the Supreme Court’s order banning all tourism activities in the core areas of the tiger reserve forests to protect tigers.
“Kabini is also the part of the tiger reserves. We have to rethink of that project,” EIH Ltd vice chairman S.S. Mukherjee told shareholders at the company’s annual general meeting here.
Kabini jungle lodge is situated near the Bhadra Tiger Reserve. The company is scheduled to set up an 18-room lodge there.
Chairman P.R.S. Oberoi said that the company just began to construct staff quarters at Kabini and building of the lodge had not started.
“There will be next hearing at the end of this month. Hopefully, there will be no restrictions on tourism in the tiger reserves,” Oberoi said.
EIH Ltd, the flagship company of The Oberoi Group, Tuesday said it would look into the possibility of reviving its very old and closed hotel in Darjeeling on the back of improved law and order situation in the hills.
The group’s founder M.S. Oberoi had bought the 65-room Everest Hotel in Darjeeling in the 1950s, but the operation was suspended in the late 1960s.
- 'Asset-heavy' EIH to focus more on managing hotels - Aug 07, 2012
- East India Hotels plans tie-up with RIL - Aug 10, 2011
- Oberoi Group denies reports on P.R.S Oberoi's successor - Apr 12, 2011
- EIH posts 90 percent hike in net profit - May 29, 2012
- No plans of sell stake: EIH Chairman - Jul 09, 2010
- Oberois to raise stake in EIH; firm plans Rs.1.5 bn investment (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- EIH sees traction in revenues, apprehends pressure on margins - Aug 24, 2010
- RIL acquires 14.12 percent in East India Hotels - Aug 30, 2010
- East India Hotels plans Rs.250 crore investment (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 20, 2009
- East India Hotels eyes Gulf for expansion - Aug 20, 2009
- Tea firms line up tea tourism projects in Darjeeling hills - Aug 23, 2012
- Oberoi Group opens hotel in Gurgaon - Apr 12, 2011
- Katy-Russell at resort near Ranthambore for engagement - Oct 20, 2010
- Post-treaty, Darjeeling tourism eyes revival - Jul 26, 2011
- ITC yet to take call on EIH rights issue - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: annual general meeting, bhadra, core areas, eih ltd, everest hotel, flagship company, hotel in darjeeling, jungle lodge, karnataka, kolkata, law and order, oberoi group, ranthambore national park, s mukherjee, staff quarters, tiger reserve, tiger reserves, tourism activities, uncertain future, vice chairman