EIAST signs contract for DubaiSat-2 with Russia’s ISCKFebruary 16th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Feb 16 (IANS/WAM) The Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology (EIAST) has signed a contract with the Moscow-based international space company Kosmotras (ISCK) for the launch of the United Arab Emirates’ second remote sensing satellite — DubaiSat-2. The contract was signed between Ahmed Obaid Al Mansoori, director general of Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology, and Dr. Vladimir Andreev, director general of international space company Kosmotras of Russia.
DubaiSat-2, which will be used for remote sensing, weighs around 300 kg and will be placed into a 600 km sun-synchronous orbit.
As per the contract, DubaiSat-2 will be launched on board a Dnepr rocket through the Moscow-based Kosmotras from Yasny cosmodrome in northern Russia by the fourth quarter of 2012, as part of a clustered launch, in which DubaiSat-2 will be the primary satellite on board.
DubaiSat-2 is the second remote sensing satellite owned by the UAE which underscores the country’s determination to possess advanced space technologies to fulfil the needs of scientific and technological research.
- Launch of UAE satellite postponed - Jul 25, 2009
- UAE's first remote sensing satellite ready for launch - Sep 24, 2008
- UAE launches its first earth observation satellite - Jul 30, 2009
- India to launch 12 foreign satellites in next two years - Jun 02, 2011
- India's new satellite beams high quality images - May 09, 2011
- India to launch advanced remote sensing satellite April 20 - Apr 09, 2011
- Emirates announces daily flights to Phuket - Aug 03, 2012
- UAE launches satellite from French Guiana - Apr 23, 2011
- Emirates inaugurates A380 Service to Amsterdam - Aug 03, 2012
- India successfully puts three satellites into orbit - Apr 20, 2011
- UAE, Romania seek close trade ties - Nov 23, 2011
- ISRO to launch French satellite - Apr 03, 2012
- India's latest satellite to beam pictures from Thursday - Apr 25, 2011
- UAE, Lebanon seek to boost trade ties - Apr 05, 2012
- Emirates launches A-380 flights to Malaysia - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: advanced science, al mansoori, andreev, cosmodrome, director general, dnepr rocket, dubaisat, fourth quarter, international space, kosmotras, launch, northern russia, obaid, science and technology, signs contract, space company, space technologies, synchronous orbit, technological research, united arab emirates