Egypt annuls gas export deal with IsraelApril 23rd, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, April 23 (IANS) Egypt said Sunday that it has annulled a gas export deal with Israel due to violations of contractual obligations, according to Egypt’s Nile TV.
Mohamed Shoeb, who heads the Egyptian natural gas holding company, said the government owned firm together with the General Authority for Petroleum annulled the contract with East Mediterranean Gas Company (EMG) which exports gas to Israel because it has not paid for the purchased gas for months.
“It was purely a business decision,” Shoeb added.
EMG, the other party to the contract, was founded by fugitive businessman Hussein Salim, who is in detention in Spain pending extradition, reported Xinhua.
Salim is accused of involvement in exporting natural gas to Israel at lower-than-market prices.
The natural gas deal between Egypt and Israel was signed in 2005 at a price that critics said was far below the market value.
A pipeline in Sinai sending gas to Israel and Jordan was bombed April 9, the 14th time since last February, close to the time when the popular revolt started.
- Hosni Mubarak's aide arrested in Spain - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak's aide jailed for seven years - Oct 13, 2011
- Egypt terminates Israel gas deal - Apr 23, 2012
- Egypt PM calls for reviewing all natural gas deals - Apr 14, 2011
- Spain to hand over Mubarak confidant - Oct 11, 2011
- 25 Chinese nationals held in Egypt - Feb 01, 2012
- Egypt Air strikes out Israel from route map - Mar 26, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Five killed as gunmen attack police station in Egypt's Sinai - Jul 30, 2011
- Israeli missile kills militant in Egypt - Aug 27, 2012
- Krishna heads to Egypt, Syria on agenda - Mar 02, 2012
- 20 held in Egypt for attacks on police - Aug 19, 2011
- Mubarak's wealth came from gas exports to Israel, arms deals: Justice Minister - May 01, 2011
- Blast at Egypt gas pipeline - Feb 05, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospital - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: business decision, businessman, cairo, contractual obligations, east mediterranean, egypt, egyptian natural gas, emg, export deal, extradition, holding company, israel, mohamed, nile tv, petroleum, pipeline, revolt, salim, shoeb, xinhua