‘Education, skill development top priority of 12th Plan’August 6th, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 6 (IANS) Education and skill development would be the “overriding priority” of the 12th Five Year Plan even as India’s current slow economic growth rate might affect total outlay of the plan, said a member of the plan panel Monday.
Allocation for the 12th Plan period (2012-17) would be declared in a month and the total size of the plan outlay would be “commensurate with the growth rate”, Planning Commission member Narendra Jadhav told reporters here.
While in 2011-12, the economy grew at 6.5 percent, according to Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, deficient monsoon could pull down the growth rate to close to 6 percent.
Ahluwalia recently said the Planning Commission might lower its ambitious growth target for the 12th Five-Year Plan to 8.2-8.3 percent from 9 percent.
Jadhav, however, said education and skill development followed by healthcare and infrastructure will remain the top priorities in the plan period as prior to the 11th Plan, the central government did little for the sectors, resulting in a “large backlog”.
- Nine percent growth not possible in 12th Plan: Montek - Jul 06, 2012
- Private participation vital to expedite development in northeast: Plan panel - Mar 30, 2012
- Good showing gets Rajasthan 22 percent hike in plan outlay - Mar 21, 2012
- Plan panel okays Rs.14,010 crore outlay for Kerala - Apr 20, 2012
- 12th Plan growth projection lowered to 8.2 percent - Sep 14, 2012
- Jharkhand wants industrial corridor like Delhi-Mumbai one - Aug 06, 2012
- Tripura told to attract private funds for infrastructure - Mar 24, 2011
- India may end 2011-12 with 7 percent growth: Montek - Dec 21, 2011
- Planning Commission to focus on social inclusion: Montek - Oct 17, 2011
- Planning Commission finalises Tripura 2011-12 plan - Mar 24, 2011
- Plan panel hints at 9-9.5 percent growth in 12th Plan - Jun 10, 2011
- India to set 9 percent growth target for next five year plan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Rs.3,300 crore annual plan for Himachal approved - Mar 02, 2011
- India to target 10 percent growth in 2012-17 - Sep 10, 2010
- Tamil Nadu plan outlay raised to Rs.23,535 crore - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,