Early summer heat will hit wheat yieldMay 4th, 2010 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
By Jaideep Sarin
Chandigarh, May 4 (IANS) Even as wheat procurement in Punjab inched closer to the 100-lakh tonnes mark, officials said the bumper crop this year could fall short of last year’s production figure due to the early summer heat.
Government agencies and private millers procured more than 99.63 lakh tonnes of wheat till Monday evening as compared to 102.30 lakh tonnes in the same period last year.
In neighbouring Haryana, over 62.27 lakh tonnes of wheat had arrived till Monday, officials said.
“Though the crop this year is a bumper one, wheat arrivals are likely to fall short of last year’s figures in both states this time. The major reason for this is the higher temperature in early April which has affected production by 8-10 per cent,” a Punjab food and supplies department official told IANS here.
Punjab and Haryana had together procured over 180 lakh tonnes of wheat in May last year.
Both states created individual records, with Punjab procuring 110 lakh tonnes and Haryana procuring nearly 70 lakh tonnes of wheat.
“The rising temperature has affected the crop in certain areas. The overall production could be less than last year but it will still be good,” Ajmer Singh of Landran village, 25 km from Chandigarh, told IANS.
The procurement season had begun April 1, but the bulk arrival of the crop started after April 13 (Baisakhi).
Out of the total procurement, 99.6 per cent has been procured by six government agencies - five from the Punjab government and the Food Corporation of India (FCI).
In Punjab, Ferozepur district led in wheat arrival with 11.31 lakh tonnes followed by Sangrur with 9.13 lakh tonnes and Patiala with 8.17 lakh tonnes.
The state government has set up 1,650 procurement centres.
In Haryana, Sirsa district led with 7.23 lakh tonnes, followed by Karnal with 7.18 lakh tonnes and Jind with 6.12 lakh tonnes.
Punjab and Haryana together contribute over 50 per cent of the total food grains to the national kitty.
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Punjab wheat procurement crosses 100 lakh tonnes - May 04, 2012
- Punjab wheat procurement crosses 125 lakh tonnes - May 18, 2012
- Punjab procures 110.50 lakh tonnes wheat - Jun 02, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana head for bumper wheat crop - May 11, 2011
- 100 lakh tonnes of wheat procured in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 26, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana make it a wheat bumper crop season - May 17, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure 150 lakh tonnes of wheat - Apr 26, 2010
- Punjab procures nearly 103 lakh tonnes wheat - May 09, 2011
- Wheat procurement in Punjab, Haryana crosses 90 lakh tonnes - Apr 25, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana near 150 lakh tonne wheat procurement-mark - May 02, 2011
- Nearly 58 lakh tonnes wheat arrives in Haryana grain markets - Apr 27, 2012
- Wheat arrivals remain low in Punjab markets - Apr 13, 2011
- Punjab procures 110 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 26, 2011
- Wheat arrival low in Punjab, Haryana markets - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: april 1, baisakhi, bumper crop, food corporation of india, food corporation of india fci, food grains, government agencies, haryana, individual records, jind, karnal, lakh tonnes, millers, patiala, procurement, punjab government, sangrur, sarin, state government, summer heat