EADS, Air India to set up maintenance facility in Delhi (Lead)October 16th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 16 (IANS) Air India and European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) are joining hands to set up an aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) centre in Delhi for the state-owned carrier’s Airbus aircraft. The centre, which will start operations from early 2009 at the India Gandhi International Airport, will become a member of the Airbus MRO network.
The government’s National Aviation Company of India Ltd (Nacil) owns Air India, while Airbus is an arm of EADS.
The two firms will initially be 50-50 equity partners in the joint venture, but a third Airbus network partner - a local EADS affiliate company - will be inducted later. The total project cost has been estimated at $40 million spread over five years.
As per the agreement, the joint venture will initially undertake airframe maintenance and repair of Nacil’s Airbus aircraft.
Later, the facility will service other types of aircraft like the ATR, aircraft of other airlines, and aircraft outside the Airbus family, as well as entering the component maintenance business.
Nacil is currently in the process of inducting 43 new A320 aircraft from Airbus into its fleet. The induction programme, which started last year, will continue till early 2010. Currently, it operates 43 A320s, 11 A319s, 10 A321s, eight A310s and two A330s - all Airbus aircraft.
EADS officials said the MRO facility would also cater to the markets in South Asia region and neighbouring countries. By 2013, over 100 single-aisle aircraft and around 10 wide body aircraft would be maintained and the centre would employ 250 to 300 Indian technical personnel.
- Airbus, Air India to set up maintenance facility in Delhi - Oct 16, 2008
- Airbus owner, Air India to set up maintenance facility in Delhi (Lead) - Oct 16, 2008
- 'India aiming to be among top five aviation markets' - Mar 14, 2012
- India requires over 1,000 new aircraft by 2030: Airbus - Mar 15, 2012
- Air India's new MRO coming up in Nagpur - Sep 04, 2012
- American Airlines orders 460 new planes from Boeing and Airbus - Jul 20, 2011
- Indian aviation's MRO business set to soar - Apr 08, 2012
- Eurocopter to float subsidiary for India operations - Mar 02, 2010
- Airbus to set up assembly line in US - Jul 03, 2012
- Dreamliner, Sukhoi Superjet to be showcased at India Aviation - Mar 10, 2012
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Airbus to set up second pilot training centre in India - Mar 14, 2012
- Leasing company drops order for 6 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, opts for Airbus - Nov 15, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Mumbai to host major aviation conference - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: airbus aircraft, airframe maintenance, aviation company, european aeronautic defence, european aeronautic defence and space company, india gandhi, induction programme, national aviation, neighbouring countries, south asia region