Dunlop’s West Bengal unit re-opensMarch 6th, 2009 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 6 (IANS) Tyre maker Dunlop India’s Sahaganj unit in West Bengal re-opened Friday after remaining shut for over three months but did not resume production.
The Dunlop management had informed employees Tuesday through a notice at the factory gate about the resumption of operation, and said production will commence once the repairing and refurbishing of the plant is completed.
Around 75 workers reported for duty, top company sources said.
The management had earlier asked 229 workers of the maintenance and engineering division, out of a total workforce of over 1,200, to commence the repairing and refurbishing work.
“As there have been quite a few cases of theft in the plant in recent times, 229 workers of the maintenance and engineering division have been asked to initially commence the repairing and refurbishing of the plant. On the plant being ready for regular production, workers will be inducted in different departments in a phased manner,” the management had said in the notice.
The Pawan Kumar Ruia-owned company suspended production at the unit located in Hooghly district Nov 17, citing lack of demand due to the global economic downturn.
The company declared suspension of work at the plant, leaving the future of the over 1,200 workers in uncertainty.
The management has said banks have assured it of the working capital needed for running the plant in a sustained manner. The state government is also “actively considering” giving some relief and incentives Dunlop had asked for, the management said.
Earlier, the company sought a Rs.100 crore (Rs.1 billion) loan from the West Bengal Industrial Development Corp (WBIDC).
Kolkata-based Ruia group chairman Pawan Kumar Ruia ventured into the tyre manufacturing industry in 2005 after acquiring Dunlop from the late businessman Manohar Rajaram Chhabria’s family.
- Dunlop to reopen West Bengal plant from March 6 - Mar 03, 2009
- Dunlop's West Bengal unit reopens, production in one month (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- Relief undertaking to Dunlop only after it reopens: Minister - Oct 20, 2011
- Ensure law and order for Dunlop plant to function: Ruia - Sep 10, 2011
- Dunlop board to discuss shut Bengal factory Oct 21 - Oct 13, 2011
- Conditional offer to open Sahagunj unit in phases - Oct 21, 2011
- Dunlop to withdraw lay-off notice at Bengal plant - Apr 05, 2011
- Dunlop drops lay-off notice, asks workers to join duty - Apr 06, 2011
- Dunlop shutdown continues as talks fail - Oct 10, 2011
- Dunlop to start production from Sahaganj unit Dec 2 - Nov 24, 2009
- Dunlop may shut West Bengal unit again - Jul 25, 2009
- Dunlop suspends work at Bengal tyre factory - Oct 08, 2011
- Dunlop's Bengal unit likely to resume production soon - Nov 09, 2009
- Dunlop to resume production in Sahaganj factory (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Dunlop's Sahaganj unit to start production in two months - Mar 09, 2009
Tags: 1 billion, businessman, company sources, crore, dunlop india, economic downturn, group chairman, hooghly district, kolkata, manufacturing industry, owned company, pawan kumar, rajaram, resumption, rs 1, state government, tyre, wbidc, west bengal, working capital