Dubai’s Damas gets India’s nod for jewellery retailJune 9th, 2009 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 IANS) Dubai-based jewellery and watch trading company Damas has secured approval for a single brand retail joint venture in India with an investment of Rs.1.8 billion ($36 million), an official statement said Tuesday.
The group’s proposal, among the 22 others approved by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board with an investment of Rs.5.6 billion (around $110 million), calls for a joint venture in India with 51 percent equity.
This is the maximum equity permitted for single brand retailing in India, which otherwise bans foreign equity altogether for multi-brand retail stores such as Wal-Mart, Tesco and Carrefour.
The Damas group has operations in 18 countries with around 450 stores and ranks among the leading jewellery and watch retailers in the Gulf region, its corporate website said.
Another large proposal approved by the board was from HP India Holdings of Mauritius, which has the Hyatt franchise in India, for a joint venture with an investment of Rs.1.25 billion ($25 million) to set up hotels in the country.
This apart, foreign institutional investor Lazard has also secured an approval for investing Rs.1.25 billion in its India fund.
The Paris-based Groupe Danone has also been allowed to invest in the country’s food processing sector to make beverages, biscuits, cereals, baby food and dairy products.
- Finance ministry okays FDI in multi-brand retail - Nov 17, 2011
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- Fact sheet on India's retail trade industry - Nov 24, 2011
- India's retail stocks open strong after foreign equity nod - Nov 25, 2011
- Carrefour opens second cash and carry store - Nov 28, 2011
- Comments from India Inc. on foreign equity in retail trade - Nov 25, 2011
- New-look Malabar Gold targets $6 bn turnover by 2015 - Mar 25, 2012
- Yakult Danone expands to south India - Feb 17, 2012
- 'FDI will help modernise retail sector, curb inflation' - Jul 23, 2011
- India opens doors to global retail chains (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Decision on foreign equity in multi-brand retail in six months' - Jun 03, 2011
- Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products - Mar 30, 2012
- FDI in retail will hit 'crores', says CPI-M - Nov 25, 2011
- Government for FDI in multi-brand retail, invites feedback - Jul 06, 2010
- India allows FDI in multi-brand retail - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: baby food, biscuits, carrefour, cereals, dairy products, damas, food processing, foreign investment promotion board, groupe danone, india fund, institutional investor, investment promotion board, joint venture, lazard, retail stores, retailing in india, rs 1, tesco, wal mart, watch retailers