Drunk shoppers boosting online salesDecember 29th, 2011 - 7:23 am ICT by IANS
London, Dec 29 (IANS) Those who shopped while tipsy were more generous in buying for others but more likely to regret their purchase, a survey has found.
Forty-three percent of those surveyed said they had shopped online after drinking, The Telegraph reported Wednesday quoting the shopping comparison website Kelkoo.
A quarter of “boozy shoppers” said they only bought the item because of the alcohol they had drunk, while a fifth of those questioned said that they could not even remember what they had bought when they woke up the next morning, according to Kelkoo.
The most common purchases while drink-shopping were clothes and shoes, followed by video games, films and books, Telegraph reports.
Online retailer Gilt Groupe is starting more online sales at 9 p.m. to take advantage of late-night shoppers.
“Post-bar, inhibitions can be impacted, and that can cause shopping, and hopefully healthy impulse buying,” Gilt Groupe president Andy Page told the New York Times.
The key time for drunk shopping, according to Kelkoo, is between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. eBay says that its busiest time is between 6.30 p.m. and 10.30 p.m., while ecommerce firm ChannelAdviser says that orders peak at 8 p.m. and the peak time is getting later.
- Men buy more grocery online than women, shows study - Oct 04, 2011
- Mumbaikars top list of online shoppers: Assocham - Jul 03, 2011
- US shoppers spend record $52.4 bn on Thanksgiving weekend - Nov 29, 2011
- US online spending up - May 10, 2012
- Gen Y are shopaholics and Gen X looks for quality stuff: Oz study - May 20, 2010
- Every England WC goal in round 2 will be worth 126 million pounds to UK shops': Survey - Jun 04, 2010
- Shoppers Are Avoiding Credit Cards, Survey Reveals - Dec 16, 2010
- Online Diwali shopping is booming - Nov 03, 2010
- Chandigarh debates: To shop or not to shop on Sunday - Jun 19, 2011
- Black Friday Brings Online Bonanza In 2010 - Nov 20, 2010
- Why women splash out on luxury items - Sep 19, 2010
- Women 'get drunk before having sex because they lack confidence' - Mar 13, 2011
- 1 in 5 Brits wear their undies at least 250 times before buying new ones! - Dec 02, 2010
- 43 new dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Junk food adds up to over a quarter of UK shoppers' grocery bills - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: alcohol, andy page, clothes, comparison website, ebay, films, impulse, inhibitions, late night, london, new york times, next morning, peak time, president andy, shoes, shoppers, shopping, telegraph, video games