Drug Lord Joaquín Guzmán Loera on Forbes’ List of BillionairesMarch 13th, 2009 - 12:11 am ICT by GD
Forbes’s list of the richest people in the world now has a fugitive Mexican drug lord, Joaquín Guzmán Loera, also known as “Shorty”. He heads the infamous Sinaloa Cartel.
Mexico’s Most Wanted man Shorty escaped from prison in 2001 in a laundry cart just before he was going to be extradited to the United States. The US government subsequently put a $5 million dollar reward on his head, which now seems like pocket change to the drug tycoon. According to Forbes, his net worth now stands approximately at $1 billion dollars.
Violence erupted in Mexico recently over drug wars concerning strategic routes to enter the United States. Joaquín Guzmán Loera is reported to have been behind a number of killings over the routes. The Sinaloa Cartel is feared for using fatal forces against any threat that faces his business of “shipping” which is what Forbes has listed as Shorty’s occupation on its lists.
Mexico was in the middle of a good deal of media attention as violence broke out on the streets of Ciudad Juarez and a number of other border towns. There have been reports that now the Mexican drug lords have found ways to enter cities like Atlanta and Houston in the US.
Joaquín Guzmán Loera is now at number 701 on the Forbes’ list of Billionaires of the World and the inroad to investing in cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana made to seem like the easiest way to enter the hallowed lists.
Meanwhile, V. Anisimova, the metal tycoon and father of Anna Anisimova, who is dubbed the Paris Hilton of Russia, lost his place in the list and slipped to being just a millionaire according to Forbes.
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Mexican marines capture son of Sinaloa drug cartel leader - Jun 22, 2012
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- 3 men gunned down at Mexican hospital - Oct 13, 2010
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- US grants political asylum to Mexican reporter - Sep 23, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Mexican city fires 400 cops - May 20, 2011
- Mexican psychiatrists seek psychological treatment in US - Sep 29, 2010
- Mexican drug lord's wife reportedly arrested in the country's west - May 14, 2010
Tags: 1 billion dollars, anna anisimova, billionaires forbes, border towns, ciudad juarez, dollar reward, drug lord, drug wars, forbes list of billionaires, inroad, laundry cart, list of billionaires, list of the richest people in the world, loera, mexican drug lords, paris hilton, richest people in the world, shorty, sinaloa cartel mexico, wanted man