Drought situation alarming in Bihar, admits central teamAugust 13th, 2010 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 13 (IANS) A central team visiting drought-hit Bihar has described the situation as alarming, an official said Friday.
The central team visited half a dozen drought-hit districts of the state.
“The drought situation is alarming and a matter of serious concern,” a member of the central team told IANS here after visiting Gaya, one of the 28 districts declared drought-affected due to 23 percent rainfall deficit.
According to official sources, the team visited some districts including Bhagalpur, Gaya, Bhojpur, Patna, Banka and Jehanabad. “The officials visited villages, interacted with farmers and held discussion with district officials including district magistrates to assess the drought situation,” another official of the team said.
Last week, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar handed over a memorandum to the central government in New Delhi seeking financial help of Rs.5,062 crore to tackle the drought.
The drought has affected hundreds of thousands of people for a second consecutive year.
The shortage in rains has badly hit paddy sowing and transplantation in Gaya, Aurangabad, Jehanabad, Arwal, Nawada, Patna, Rohtas, Kaimur and Nalanda.
Over a dozen districts in Magadh and Patna divisions are worst hit. Last year, the government declared 26 districts drought-hit.
The monsoon usually hits the state June 12-14.
- Bihar to declare more districts drought-hit - Aug 14, 2010
- Drought-hit Bihar to seek massive aid - Aug 05, 2010
- Nitish unfurls national flag, declares Bihar drought-hit - Aug 15, 2010
- Drought-hit Bihar farmers' hopes lie in power supply - Aug 07, 2010
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Rains lash parched Bihar - Aug 24, 2010
- Fifth phase of Bihar polls begins - Nov 09, 2010
- Fifth phase of Bihar assembly polls begins (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Maoists luring villagers to grow poppy in Bihar - Feb 19, 2012
- Farmers protest shortage of urea in Bihar - Sep 13, 2011
- 26 Bihar districts declared drought-hit (Lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Over 60 percent of Bihar reeling under drought - Aug 02, 2010
- Over 300,000 affected by floods in Bihar - Sep 11, 2009
- Will drought haunt Bihar farmers again? - Jul 07, 2010
- 36 percent voting in Bihar polls (Third Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: aurangabad, banka, central government, chief minister, crore, district magistrates, district officials, drought situation, farmers, financial help, half a dozen, hundreds of thousands, memorandum, monsoon, nalanda, nawada, New Delhi, rainfall deficit, second consecutive year, transplantation