Driving lesson nearly causes air disaster in PhilippinesMarch 17th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, March 17 (DPA) A Philippine man nearly caused a disaster in an eastern city when he used an airport runway to teach his girlfriend to drive just as a passenger plane was about to land, an official said Tuesday.
A Cebu Pacific Air flight carrying 80 passengers was descending at the weekend at the airport in Legazpi City, 360 km south-east of Manila, when the pilot quickly pulled up after he saw a passenger van moving fast on the runway.
Legazpi City Mayor Noel Rosal told the Philippine Star newspaper that the van was driven by the son of the city aviation chief. He was teaching his girlfriend how to drive.
“That van could have turned us into a fireball had I not successfully aborted landing,” Rosal quoted the French pilot as telling aviation security officials.
The plane was able to land safely after circling in the air for a few minutes to allow the van to leave the runway.
Rosal said he requested the immediate suspension and transfer of the aviation official who allowed his son to use the airport runway as a private driving area.
- Top Philippine official missing after plane crash - Aug 18, 2012
- 12 killed in Philippines plane crash - Dec 10, 2011
- Dog scare at Pakistani Kashmir airport! - Jan 11, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Curbs on cell phones' use in aircraft relaxed - Oct 18, 2010
- Reports of near-misses in Delhi untrue: Airport authority - May 20, 2011
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies - May 12, 2012
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
- Sudanair plane makes emergency landing - Oct 03, 2011
- Chinese plane flies from Japan without permission - Nov 30, 2011
- Large aircraft allowed from Patna till Aug 31 - Aug 12, 2012
- Filipino-German beauty queen killed in accident - Aug 22, 2010
- Meghalaya wants probe against pilots flouting safety norms - Jun 17, 2011
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies (Lead) - May 12, 2012
Tags: air disaster, air flight, airport runway, aviation security, cebu pacific air, city mayor, few minutes, fireball, french pilot, girlfriend, legazpi city, march 17, mayor noel rosal, noel, passenger plane, philippine star, philippine star newspaper, philippines manila, security officials