Drama in US skies as Canadian flies in stolen planeApril 7th, 2009 - 12:09 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, April 7 (IANS) A young Canadian stole a Cessna training plane from an aviation school and flew it into the US, triggering panic in the town of Madison where government offices were evacuated.
Before the pilot was captured Monday after landing on a highway in Missouri state, his stolen Cessna had caused enough scare in Madison, the capital of Wisconsin, to force evacuation of government offices.
Two US F-16s scrambled to chase and force the pilot to land on Highway 60 in south-central Missouri state, reports said. The pilot had reportedly left a suicide note when he stole the plane.
He had flown the Cessna for about 1,200 km from Canada’s Thunder Bay International Airport where he stole it at about 3 p.m. The plane had about eight hours’ fuel when it was stolen.
The Cessna was stolen from the Confederation College Aviation Centre located at the Thunder Bay airport, college vice president Judi Maundrell was quoted as saying by Canada’s Canwest wire service.
“Apparently somebody jumped over the fence and just jumped into an aircraft.
“It was sitting as usual parked on the ramp. The keys are in all the aircrafts because students are using them,” she said.
After flying over Ontario province of Canada when the stolen plane entered the US, the two F-16s chased it.
The US pilots tried to communicate with the young Canadian but he would not respond.
However, the F-16s continued chasing it over Wisconsin, Illinois and then Missouri state till they forced it to land on Highway 60.
- Cessna 172 plane stolen from Canada - Apr 07, 2009
- Pilot in custody after landing stolen Cessna in Missouri following long air pursuit - Apr 07, 2009
- US woman, 80, with no training, lands plane - Apr 03, 2012
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Coffee spill diverts United Airlines flight - Jan 06, 2011
- Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight (with images) - Jul 17, 2012
- Fighter jets intercept two small planes in Obama's airspace - Aug 07, 2012
- Impounded plane stolen in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Small passenger plane crashes in eastern Canada, killing 4 - Jan 12, 2012
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Pakistan gets six more F-16 aircraft - Nov 20, 2010
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Small plane forced to land after flying into D.C. airspace - Aug 26, 2009
- Fighter jet intercepts small plane near Camp David - Sep 04, 2011
- Alert pilots save 48 passengers aboard Air India plane (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: aircrafts, aviation centre, aviation school, canwest, capital of wisconsin, central missouri state, cessna, confederation college, eight hours, government offices, judi, ontario province, province of canada, ramp, scare, south central missouri, suicide note, thunder bay airport, town of madison, wisconsin illinois