DoT meets telcos, seeks views on rollout obligations (Lead)July 13th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) The Department of Telecom (DoT) which Friday met all the operators, discussed the issue of network rollout obligations and asked them to submit their views by Saturday.
“The EGoM wants that the operators cover 20 percent of block level headquarters by the end of second year and 30 percent by third year looking at the possibility of enhanced roll-out obligation,” a senior government official said.
“Operators have been asked to submit their views by tomorrow afternoon,” he added.
The issue figured at Thursday’s meeting of the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) which asked the DoT to look at the possibility of enhancing roll0ut obligation.
Many operators have been opposing the rollout conditions recommended by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
The EGoM approved “in principle” the proposal to allow telecom firms to mortgage spectrum to raise funds from banks in order to buy airwaves and is yet to meet again next week to take a call on reserve pricing and spectrum usage charge.
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging - Jul 12, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- DoT to speed up process to meet new 2G auction deadline - Apr 24, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum auction issues deferred again - Jul 02, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: banks, government official, network rollout, New Delhi, obligation, principle, proposal, spectrum usage, telecom firms, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, tomorrow afternoon, trai