Don’t become US ally, CPI-M tells governmentJune 11th, 2012 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) The CPI-M Monday asked the government not to get into any strategic relationship with the US, “and firmly turn down any such role in the American strategic designs in Asia”.
“US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta visited Delhi in order to involve India in the US strategic pivot to the Asia-Pacific region,” it said in a statement here.
“In the words of Panetta, India should be a ‘lynchpin’ in the US strategy in Asia.”
The CPI-M said: “The UPA government should realize the dangers of involving itself in a strategic alliance with the US and firmly turn down any such role in the American strategic designs in Asia.
“(We call) upon the government not to fall in line with the US-NATO and the Gulf states on in Syria. The Indian government should not become party to moves to stoke civil war conditions and destabilize Syria.”
The CPI-M also denounced the Indian government’s moves to curtail oil purchases from Iran.
“This is being done under pressure from the US and it goes against the vital interests of the country with regard to energy security,” it said.
- CPI-M denounces India's Syria vote - Feb 06, 2012
- US Defence Secretary to visit India in June - May 23, 2012
- China seeks explanation from US on its Asia policy - Sep 03, 2012
- US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific region - Jun 02, 2012
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- Left blames US-NATO for Gaddafi killing - Oct 21, 2011
- India, China agree to work closely in Asia-Pacific region - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- India-US discuss range of defence issues ahead of strategic dialogue (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Asia-Pacific issues should be settled bilaterally: Antony (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- US senators seek sanctions on Russian firm - Mar 13, 2012
- US Defence Secretary Panetta arrives in New Delhi - Jun 05, 2012
- Don't let Wal-Mart in, says CPI-M - Jul 16, 2012
- India-US discuss regional security, defence purchases - Jun 06, 2012
- India's foreign policy under threat due to US pressure: CPI-M - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: ally, asia pacific region, civil war, CPI, energy security, gulf states, indian government, iran, leon panetta, lynchpin, nato, New Delhi, oil purchases, pivot, regard, strategic alliance, syria, us defence secretary, vital interests, war conditions