Done with that cube? Here’s Rubik’s 360February 2nd, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 2 (IANS) Decades after frustrating millions of people with his maddening multi-coloured plastic cube, reclusive Hungarian professor Erno Rubik is about to throw one more challenge to the world.Move over Rubik’s Cube, step up Rubik’s 360 - about to be launched this week as the inventor’s reply to snotty kids who can crack the Cube in as little as eight seconds.
Using the same formula of an apparently simple task that is annoyingly hard to complete, the new puzzle involves moving plastic balls through a set of transparent spheres.
Rubik, 64, said: “The 360 is one of the most innovative and exciting puzzles we’ve developed since the Cube, adopting elements of my original design, challenging the solver to use skill, dexterity and logic.”
The Rubik’s Cube was invented in 1974, but was not released until 1980 when it became a global phenomenon. Sales have risen again in recent years with internet tutorials helping to revive interest.
The fastest to do the Cube is a Dutch teenager who took all of 7.08 seconds, and the slowest is 45-year-old British builder Graham Parker, who finished his Cube in January - 26 years after he bought it.
“I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid colour, I wept,” said Parker.
- Coming soon: Rubik''s 360 - Feb 01, 2009
- Rubik's cube inventor back with new brain-teaser '360' - Jul 06, 2009
- Rubik's Cube robo solves puzzle in 15 seconds! - Dec 05, 2010
- Avid fan finally solves Rubik''s Cube after 26 years - Jan 12, 2009
- Skydiver solves Rubik's Cube mid-air - Aug 24, 2010
- Skydiver solves Rubik's cube during free fall from 5900 ft! - Aug 24, 2010
- 80s brainteaser the Rubik's Cube set for Christmas comeback - Jul 02, 2008
- Robot to attempt to break Rubiks cube world record - Dec 25, 2008
- Breandan Vallance is UK's Rubic Champion - Nov 14, 2011
- Rubik's cube can be solved in just 20 moves - Aug 12, 2010
- Meet UK's fastest female Rubik's cube solver - Nov 03, 2009
- Love struck Rubik''s Cube champ breaks world record! - Jul 25, 2008
- Dutch teen solves Rubik''s Cube in 7.08 seconds! - Jul 14, 2008
- Steve Jobs' statue unveiled in Hungary - Dec 22, 2011
- Penny-sized thrusters developed to propel nanosats - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: decades, dexterity, eight seconds, feb 2, global phenomenon, graham parker, internet tutorials, inventor, logic, london feb, original design, plastic balls, plastic cube, puzzle, puzzles, reply, rubik s cube, teenager, transparent spheres, world move