Domestic automobile sales up 10.76 percent (Lead)May 11th, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) Automobile sales in the country grew nearly 11 percent in April over the corresponding month the previous year largely due to a handsome growth registered by two-wheeler sales, a leading industry body said Monday.
“In April production grew at 10.19 percent and domestic sales by 10.76 percent. This was mainly because of good performance of the two-wheeler segment,” said Sugato Sen, senior director at Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
Domestic car sales grew 4.2 percent in April to 102,899 units from 98,752 units in the corresponding month the previous year.
Two-wheeler sales rose 13.71 percent to 700,995 units in April, compared to 616,468 vehicles sold the same month in 2008. The number of three-wheelers passenger vehicles sold grew 10.62 percent, compared to a 21.2 percent decline in sales of goods carriers.
In the two-wheeler category, motorcycle sales rose over 12.11 percent to 562,357 vehicles from 501,592 in the year-ago period. Moped and scooter sales were up 24 percent and nearly 20 percent respectively during the month under review.
However, sales of commercial vehicles dipped over 11 percent to 29,842 vehicles in April from 33,626 a year ago, and medium and heavy commercial vehicles witnessed a sharp fall of about 42 percent. Light commercial vehicles, however, recorded a growth of a little over 28 percent.
Total auto exports dipped 10 percent in April 2009 with commercial vehicles and two-wheelers segment logging 36 percent and 22 percent lower sales respectively.
Passenger vehicles exports, however, grew 33.99 percent, while three-wheeler segment registered a 1.74 percent rise in overseas sales.
- Car sales up four percent in April - May 11, 2009
- Auto sales up 22.2 percent in November - Dec 08, 2011
- Domestic automobile sales zoom 30.92 percent in 2010 - Jan 11, 2011
- Indian automobile sector's March sales soar (Roundup) - Apr 01, 2011
- Indian automobile sector's February sales soar (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- Passenger car sales down 9.26 percent in August - Sep 09, 2011
- Indian automobile sales zoom 31 percent in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Bajaj Auto's February sales up five percent - Mar 02, 2012
- Auto sales up 14 percent in first half this fiscal - Oct 13, 2009
- July auto sales slump as interest rates, fuel prices rise (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
- Car sales growth lowest in last seven months - Jun 11, 2012
- Auto sales remain subdued in June (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Vehicle sales up 8.45 percent in December - Jan 10, 2012
- High interest rate, fuel prices slow down car sales (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- TVS Motor sales up 7 percent in April - May 01, 2012
Tags: auto exports, car sales, decline, domestic automobile sales, domestic car, indian automobile manufacturers, light commercial vehicles, motorcycle sales, New Delhi, passenger vehicles, previous year, rose 13, scooter sales, segment, three wheeler, three wheelers, two wheeler